Thread: Which distro??

Which distro??

I don't want to start a flame war in here of the Debian vs. Slack variety, but I would like to know which would be the best for my setup.

I have USB devices, as well as @home cable modem access. Has anyone installed either of these distros with USB and/or @home? If so, what were the problems (if any) encountered? Which would be the recommended distro? How difficult is it to configure the cable modem for use in linux?

Thanks for listening to the litany of questions I have ;D

Re: Which distro??

use Slack .. all other things are ..

no seriously if you want it to make all things yourself select debian or slack.. if it should be easy to administer try redhat and for the apt-get experience take debian .. if it should be self installing try mandrake
    for the cable modem .. its very easy just enter your ip gateway and nameservers that the cable company is giving you .. these things are usally asked at the install process of the distros

hth,

Good Guru

Actually, not to start a flame war, I prefer Slackware. Why? Well, less trouble getting it to work right. As far as USB and @home, if USB is compiled into the kernel, it will work. @home is easy -- just use dhcp or the dynamic ip option when you setup your NIC.

Slack will be difficult for a newbie, but with almost all Debian and Slackware users -- you WILL be a MUCH MUCH more intelligent Linux user. Guaranteed. Debian and Slackware are also (well,from debian users feedback) very customizeable with alot less effort from the crap that RedHat and Mandrake bloats in.

Debian ... [is] ... very customizeable with alot less effort from the crap that RedHat and Mandrake bloats in.
    Yeah; that and apt-get is awesome! They don't call it the advanced packaging tool for nothing