Thread: cga installs Debian Slink and it works

cga installs Debian Slink and it works

Yup, I installed Slink yesterday on my old box, dual booting with Windows 98SE. The install was rather easy really.

First off, I cheated. ;D I used Mandrake's DiskDrake to resize the Windows Partion and create a Linux native and swap partition. Then I booted off the Debian CD and just followed the on screen instructions. Really it was not much harder than when I first installed Red Hat 5.2. Of course this box is all old hardware and easy to setup in Linux anyway.

Anyway, it is something to play with.

Re: cga installs Debian Slink and it works

hmm .. im not so into mandrake but this diskdrake sounds nice, if you can resize partitions with it .. is there a way to get it without installing mandrake ..

Diskdrake is VERY nice, I can't count the times that Diskdruid, fdisk, etc were just too much a pain in the ass to bother with. Meanwhile I pop in my Mandy CD clicky clicky lock and load and I'm off.

You can, as indicated above, run right off the CD's installer. And yes, it will resize nicely. I took a three gig HD that was all Windows and shrunk it to two gig, freeing a gig for play.

hmm .. im not so into mandrake but this diskdrake sounds nice, if you can resize partitions with it .. is there a way to get it without installing mandrake ..
    Yes, just begin to install Mandrake. When it gets to the harddrive partitioning bit, go ahead and partition your HD, then exit the installer. Aside from having changed your partition table, the computer is untouched (no software has been removed or installed overtop of). Then carry on with whatever else it was that you really wanted to install

Yes, just begin to install Mandrake. When it gets to the harddrive partitioning bit, go ahead and partition your HD, then exit the installer. Aside from having changed your partition table, the computer is untouched (no software has been removed or installed overtop of). Then carry on with whatever else it was that you really wanted to install
    Yeah, thank God Mandrake has made installing Linux, any Linux, easy. :P

Well, I was using X and running and older version of fvwm on this rig, but the video card that I was using, and old, old Trident, does not do to good in Windows, which is the other os on this machine. So I out the SiS board back in, and, of course, can't get X to work with. Of course that board did not work with with Red Hat 5.2 or 6.0 and Mandrake can only get it running half-assed.

So, I just dropped X and am running Slink in console only. Since this is a "training box" anyway, this should be an interesing experiement.