Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

apt/sources.list editing help

Thread: apt/sources.list editing help

apt/sources.list editing help

hi,

i am trying to install debian and i want to install mostly from http instead of cdrom. i installed the base system and when i edit the sources.list i cant seem to get it right. i uncommented the lines with HTTP in them and changed anything that said "stable" to "testing" but it tells me there is an error on line 4 when i try to save it. i dont see an error on line 4 so im baffled. i dont see anything specific on the debian instructions to show you how to edit that file. any ideas of what it should look like?

thanx
    SD

Re: apt/sources.list editing help

The obvious question is... "What does line 4 look like?"

also, why are you editing sources.list during the install? I didn't have to do that. I just downloaded the disk images from testing, then told it to do an ftp install, and away it went.

well i figured id give that a shot as well. i didnt see the proper drivers for my video card so i didnt install any during the install.
    (nvidia geforce card). so during the debian install it asks for the lynx homepage which i dont know but the biggest problem is when it goes to make my xf86config file i believe it was. it tries to switch to gui but never gets there. just returns an error which i dont have in front of me at the moment. i edited the source.list because a friend suggested that to get the latest release and it would upgrade to woody
    by doing apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, and apt-get dist-upgrade basically. its all new to me at this point.

SD

doing apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, and apt-get dist-upgrade basically
    Don't do that to switch from potato to woody, I hear it causes problems.

What you want to do is go back to the Debian website and download the disk images for woody, because what you have are the disk images for potato. then just install that and it should be fine.

http://www.linuxiso.org/debian.html

i guess i would just go with those 3 woody images from linuxiso then huh?

You only ***need*** to edit one line to get testing stuff. I'd suggest just finish the install. apt-get install nano (VERY easy to use text editor) then edit/add (I suggest add since there is some useful stuff with stable.

Code:
    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
    Once you add/edit that line in everything should be okay.