Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Peanut.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peanut.....

Associate

Peanut.....

linux is a pretty cool little distro. Put it on my P166 and it runs great. It is small but packed with pretty useful stuff.
    Cant beat an install of under 500mb.

late
    eric

Re: Peanut.....

doesn't the latest peanut release use kernel 2.5.0?

Associate

yeah.
    which i did think was kind of weird, seeing that its experimental, but no probs so far. I've tried several distros on this box and was looking for the lightest one. I've put RH and slack on it and was unhappy with performance, so i put peanut on and its all good. Now i just need to find some 66mhz ram to put in this thing that isnt $50 for 32mb.
    later
    eric

Kind Mastermind

linux is a pretty cool little distro. *Put it on my P166 and it runs great. *It is small but packed with pretty useful stuff. *
    Cant beat an install of under 500mb.

late
    eric
    Besides it's relatively small size, whatelse made you pick peanut?

yeah.
    which i did think was kind of weird, seeing that its experimental, but no probs so far. *I've tried several distros on this box and was looking for the lightest one. *I've put RH and slack on it and was unhappy with performance, so i put peanut on and its all good. *Now i just need to find some 66mhz ram to put in this thing that isnt $50 for 32mb.
    later
    eric
    EDO ram?

Associate

Not EDO, just 66MHZ SDRAM.
    I chose peanut cause the sytem is small and doesnt include many packages. Therefore I will tailor it to my needs or wants.
    Something to play with really. Install was painless.
    later
    eric

can't you just put in 100MHz RAM? Of course it wouldn't run that fast but...Or am I off base here? More pins? Less pins?

Advisor

If its 168pins, then you can put whatever P66, P100 or P133 SDram in the machine. The RAM-speed will be set from teh slowest item in teh machine, which basicaly would be your MB telling the RAM to run at 66mhz.

On some of the old ram types there could be problems with a segment running too far off from the orriginal speed ie: P133 on 66mhz, but I have never experienced any problems with it.

Associate

I'll try some pc100 RAM, thanks for the tip. Anyone have any experience sticking more RAM in a computer than the mobo supports. the little bit of info i have states the mobo only takes up to 64mb max, and i'd like to stick a little more in there.

thanks
    eric

I'll try some pc100 RAM, thanks for the tip. *Anyone have any experience sticking more RAM in a computer than the mobo supports. *the little bit of info i have states the mobo only takes up to 64mb max, and i'd like to stick a little more in there.

thanks
    eric
    You might try getting the latest bios update for you mobo, that might do it.