Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Redhat has gone bonkers>>>

My Redhat has gone bonkers>>>

I have no clue what happened. Everything was workin fine a few hours ago. Here's the deal: I boot into Redhat from a floppy. When It tries to boot, the screen starts flashing and I get this error message: GDM was already running, but seems to have been murdered mysteriously... WTF does that mean? What kind of freaky error message is that Any ideas?

Re: My Redhat has gone bonkers>>>

hello,
    i am positive that you xwindows configuration has been messed up, although I have no idea on how. Try hitting ctrl+alt+bkspc while it is doing that and then logging in as root and enter the password, you may have to take a couple of cracks at it because gdm will respawn. when you get logged in try the command startx and it X does not start up properly you need to run Xconfigurator to set up X winodws again.
    hth and welcome to linux junior in case no one else said that

Thanks for the welcome pbharris. Well, I did a search on google and got lucky to find the answer. Ironically someone had done exactly what I did. I configured my mouse as a USB, when in reality it is a USB mouse, but using a PS2 adapter. I just typed linux 3, then I went into mouseconfig and presto...Linux sure is tempermental......BTW, I hate to keep posting with every problem I have, so if anyone can answer this question i'd appreciate it. I have a USB cable modem and have no clue how to configure my internet connection. Any step by step explanation or guide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again pb....

hi Bruce,
    What brand/model of cable modem?

Linux sure is tempermental
    Perhaps, or perhaps it could be viewed as being more configurable. Some of that misery is half the fun, compared to mindless -- but sometimes totally frustrating -- Windoze.

BTW, your USB mouse tip was great...

My cable modem is a toshiba USB modem. Model # PCX1100U..Was that TOO much info? ;D Happy that mouse tip helped....

Happy that mouse tip helped....
    I don't have a USB mouse, but I thought it would be useful for others who do...

Good Guru

Gimme a chance to check my RH7.1 box here at work (I run 7.2 at Home on 3 boxes)

But, I think there is a networking option for a USB network connection. If I am not mistaken, your ISP was too evil to give you a PCI NIC and gave you a lttle USB dongle that you plug the CAT5 into, right? Mandrake has an option for sure. I dicked with it a few times and it may work. With RH I never needed to try it since mostly my friends who trust me use RH and own a $20-200 NIC (one guy is all horny for 3Com.. Linksys is fine for me....). Either way, try this -- in KDE, the system or whatever folder it is has a Network Configuration app. Use that and try finding a USB option. If that isnt getting anywhere, try the Internet Connection or whatever it is called. That may prove fruitful. After I get going to lunch Ill boot the RH7.1 box and see. Later I can call my roommate and have him poke around on his box and see. He should be home by 2 or 3 CST (I think -6 GMT).

Good luck.

hello,
    a google search tell on that modem tells me it should work, but you *might* need to upgrade or patch your kernel.

http://www.google.com/search?q=toshi...PCX1100U+linux

a google search tell on that modem tells me it should work, but you *might* need to upgrade or patch your kernel.

That sounds painful :-/ .. Anyway, I read something about compiling a Kernel, but the only Kernel I know anything about sells chicken and has been dead for 20 years..Can anyone shed some light upon this for me???

USB Communication Class Ethernet driver
    +CONFIG_USB_CDCETHER
    + This driver supports devices conforming to the Communication Device
    + Class Ethernet Control Model. This is used in some cable modems.
    + For more details on the specification, get the Communication Device
    + Class specification from <http://www.usb.org>.
    +
    + This driver should work with the following devices:
    + * Ericsson PipeRider (all variants)
    + * Motorola (DM100 and SB4100)
    + * Broadcom Cable Modem (reference design)
    + * Toshiba PCX1100U and possibly other cable modems
    +
    + The device creates a network device (ethX, where X depends on what
    + other networking devices you have in use), as for a normal PCI
    + or ISA based ethernet network card.
    +
    + This code is also available as a module ( = code which can be
    + inserted in and removed from the running kernel whenever you want).
    + The module will be called CDCEther.o. If you want to compile it as
    + a module, say M here and read <fileocumentation/modules.txt>.
    +

The only thing I gathered from that is that they're talking about my modem ???