Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

LFS boot scripts

Thread: LFS boot scripts

LFS boot scripts

Maybe I am an idiot or something but I was reading some of the hints over at http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org and in particular the dhcp one. Most, if not all, of these hints refer to /etc/init.d/<insert bootsrcipt> when in fact my bootscripts are in /etc/rc.d/init.d. Whats up with that?? Did I not do the sysvinit part right or is there something else?

On a side note: I really like the way that Debian handles bootscripts. I am sure it is possible to do this with LFS but I havent a clue how. Any advise?

Re: LFS boot scripts

It really doesn't matter where your bootscripts are as long as they work correctly :-P. I think there is a hint on BSD style init which could be slightly modifed to work the way Debian does there init (I think).

u can use whatever kind of init u feel like using. if u want sysvinit then use that, if u want BSD-style init then use that, if u want something u put together urself then use that....
    LFS = your box, your rules

Maybe I am an idiot or something but I was reading some of the hints over at http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org and in particular the dhcp one.
    I just did that one myself. Very easy, I found.

Most, if not all, of these hints refer to /etc/init.d/<insert bootsrcipt> when in fact my bootscripts are in /etc/rc.d/init.d. *Whats up with that?? *Did I not do the sysvinit part right or is there something else?
    Well, that probably just means that somewhere in the LFS book, when you were setting up your bootscripts, it said "Do this if you want /etc/init.d, or do this if you want /etc/rc.d/init.d", and you chose the latter method. Don't sweat it, just means you have to put your bootscripts somewhere else when hints tell you to edit them

On a side note: *I really like the way that Debian handles bootscripts.
    You crazy? Debian has the worst implementation of SysVinit I've ever seen (though the rest of the distro is great ). I like the way LFS does the '[ OK ]' thing, which Debian doesn't. Just seems cleaner to me. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I am sure it is possible to do this with LFS but I havent a clue how. *Any advise?
    Certainly it is. Just stop sourcing /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions in your bootscripts, and then when your bootscript loads something, have it echo that it's done loading instead of calling 'evaluate_retval'.

You crazy? Debian has the worst implementation of SysVinit I've ever seen (though the rest of the distro is great ). I like the way LFS does the '[ * OK * ]' thing, which Debian doesn't. Just seems cleaner to me. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
    Point taken but I dont think I explained that very well. What I liked with Debian was that when I added a bootscript to /etc/init.d/ all I had to do was run update-rc.d blah blah blah and it added all the necessary links for me......I know this is pretty easy to do manually but I really like the little update-rc.d. (hmmm.....can this be added??)

As for the /etc/rc.d/init.d thing.....I am going through LFS again since I did a few things wrong (hey, its fun ;D) and will see if I come across the /etc/init.d thing, pretty sure I just missed it.

What I liked with Debian was that when I added a bootscript to /etc/init.d/ all I had to do was run update-rc.d blah blah blah and it added all the necessary links for me

Well, that certainly would be convenient. I've never seen that script...

I know this is pretty easy to do manually but I really like the little update-rc.d. (hmmm.....can this be added??)
    Of course it can. The debian maintainers did it, so can you. It would be pretty easy to write a bash script that could do this, but if you don't know where to start, just copy the debian script over to LFS, then edit it so that it works with LFS (the directory structure might be different, etc).

will see if I come across the /etc/init.d thing, pretty sure I just missed it.
    I don't actually remember seeing that myself, but there were a lot of things where the book said "ok do this........ but if you'd like it this way instead, do this."