Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

LindowsOS screenshots (pics)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LindowsOS screenshots (pics)

LindowsOS screenshots (pics)

I found these screenshots, they are suppose to be of the LindowsOS beta.

Re: LindowsOS screenshots (pics)

Doesn't look half bad, I'm waiting till I know how well it works before passing judgement. You could stick that on a box and most doze users wouldn't notice a difference.

I like the choice of e-mail in outlook.

it looks like the wine stuff might be working just fine... only I'm worried about performance and stability using this approace. Also I have moral issues with endorsing the use of this, it think it will kill native Linux apps, but hell, freedom of choice.

<snip>. Also I have moral issues with endorsing the use of this, it think it will kill native Linux apps, but hell, freedom of choice.
    damn right, i like all of my linux apps better than any windows apps.

Also I have moral issues with endorsing the use of this, it think it will kill native Linux apps, but hell, freedom of choice.
    agreed
    the time and money developing this product could've been invested in stuff that's more usefull to the entire linuxcommunity.

There are 2 sides of this.

1) MS Office applications that run on Linux quiets the naysayers that suggest that Linux doesnt have the office applications that MS has.....on the other side of this, MS Office runs on Macintosh as well, yet MS still exist.

2) We all know that any Windows user knows and understands that Windows is garbage, but its "easy" to use. While I wont go into that, Lindows appears to work just like Windows.......of course one would say that all we need is a good Windows-esque WindowManager and not another Linux distribution (but thats neither here or there).

Excellent. If I were me two years ago and I grabbed a copy of that, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between windows and linux. This is good. I know of 5 people off the top of my head who want to try linux but won't because it won't run their games, it won't run MS Office, and they're too afraid of it because they hear it's so different. If this holds similar to everyone else, this could increase the linux community by a factor of 5!

A couple of weeks ago our system architect asked if I have enough room at my workstation for another pc.

He told me about Lindows (of which I have now been researching) and that it would be one possibility for a Windows replacement for our 1,100 users.

I was informed by the Lindows people that volume licensing would be 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of Windows. We will probably give it a try.

Thanks Lovechild for the screenshots. They came in handy.

mdwatts... I'm sorry buddy, but it seems that the "ability to run Windows programs seemlessly" is vapourware - the beta runs basicly nothing without it being ripped of an existing Windows install - if you try to install Windows software on it, it will in most cases fail horribly !

Good Guru

Why not people make better use of VMWare and Win4Lin better??

( except the cost of course. VMWare costs $ 99 extra on top of Windows price but still ..... )