Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

a good os for me ol 486!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a good os for me ol 486!

Hybrid View

a good os for me ol 486!

whats a good distro for a 486. I wanna either make it a useable comp or a server.....im sorta a n00b so it cant be a really complicated one. When i say useable, i mean for work or web browsing, hopefully it'll work better than Win 3.1! And i was wondering if a BSD might be good too. So, tell me what u think should get the honor of running on the old and venerable.....
    -CJ

Re: a good os for me ol 486!

Well, Mandrake 8.2 has a new "minimal" mode that gets you up and running with X Windows and IceWM and fits in about 65 megs. Very easy to install and configure, plus the disks have gobs of software for you to try out.

OpenBSD!!!

Go for it man. You can make a nice firewall/gateway with it (I made a PET). Give it a shot!

Slack or debian. Both can be done in very small spaces, and they don't have the i586 compile options that 'drake does (so it wouldn't work on a 486...)

Slack or debian. *Both can be done in very small spaces, and they don't have the i586 compile options that 'drake does (so it wouldn't work on a 486...)
    Doh! I forgot about about the i586 ops. Haven't seen a 486 in a while...

Mentor

I have got Debian with X installed on my DX4/100. It goes fine.

GnuVince is right! OpenBSD!!! If you want to go Linux tohugh use Slackware or Debian.

GnuVince is right! OpenBSD!!! If you want to go Linux tohugh use Slackware or Debian.
    Of course I'm right man!

Ok, one more thing, im gonna try and hook it up to a network, either wireless or phoneline, i dont wanna mess with ethernet cables everywhere. The only problem is that it only has a odd serial port, ISA slots, and maybe something else, but no PCI. Anyone know what i gotta do or what network connector should i get?
    -CJ

Well, Mandrake 8.2 has a new "minimal" mode that gets you up and running with X Windows and IceWM and fits in about 65 megs. *Very easy to install and configure, plus the disks have gobs of software *for you to try out.
    mandrake is for pentium's upwards