Thread: Lost a drive now users are borked

Lost a drive now users are borked

Okay I tried to ask this in chat today but got lost in space.

Here goes Old configuration:

HDA (40 gig) holds system
    HDC (4 gig) held /home directory

HDC went south (Trashed etc)... Now no user other than root can login. This is from the system and from ssh2.

I need to rebuild the /home directory for the users on HDA I already have that partitioned without /home directory.

Please someone tell me how to make user directories on hda and how to get etc/fstab to understand what I did?

Thanks
    Ras

I am about 1/2 step from reformatting and I dont wanna lose the webpages

Good Guru

Re:Lost a drive now users are borked

well for normal users, you will need to readd each user as the old user. Essentially its a useradd for every single old user as the exact old username. BUT you need to make sure that they keep their same uid and guid for this to work.

As for fstab, simply removing the entry for hdc should sort it. If you have enough space on your root file system to contain the home directories then you can simply add all the stuff you need to /home (this was previously a mount point, now it get's used in it's own right). If there isn't enough space, you might be able to fix it up with symlinks.

well you can add another directory for /home and forget about fstab as it will be on the root partition.

Thanks all. Shotty's idea worked the best. I just deleted everyone and readded them with the same uid/gid. All is rocking now.

Now for Shotty: You ready to help me with Samba and XP?

Ras

Good Guru

Sure, Ill help as much as ya need, as long as you do just one thing --- Spell my name right! ;D :P ;D

Glad to hear that it worked. I have to admit though, I read the post ass backwards. I was doing that all day that day. I thought you had a reinstall of the OS and wanted to keep the users and home dirs :-\ Oh well, my mistake ened up working! Any hooo.... wazzup with samba?

[quote author=Schotty link=board=1;threadid=4144;start=0#41421 date=1026763952]
    Sure, Ill help as much as ya need, as long as you do just one thing --- Spell my name right! ;D :P ;D

[/quote]

Funny thing I kept thinking this name does not look right I apologize Schotty ; D

I am trying to install SAMBA that comes with RH7.3 to work with my XP computer and printer that is assigned to it.

Since I am at work now I will try to get back on when I get home for more specifics. Basically SMB.conf is generic so it should be easy to go from there?

Thanks
    Ras

Good Guru

I just had to fuck with ya a little

Yeah, I went and did a connect to my now dead XP box. I used Webmin to configure the thing. It was pretty easy. Just plop in the workgroup, server name, and such and its done. I would say, that using Webmin is the easiest for anyone these days. As for the smb.conf, if you dive into it, you should be able to see where to plop data. You really only need to make sure that the box is on the same subnet (I assume that you knew this), get it on the same windows domain/workgroup, and if desired plop in a Server string (the extra field in M$ networking that is for a description).