Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE3 and Debian

Mentor

KDE3 and Debian

While compiling KDE3, I noticed that after unpacking the source code bz2 files, every one of them has a subfolder called "debian". Does this mean that I have compile something different for Debian-based systems? Maybe that's why KDE3 doesn't run on my sytem? What is the deal here?

Re: KDE3 and Debian

i have no idea what that directory is for, try asking on one of the kde mailinglists

i don't think u have to compile something differently to get it to work on debian, i'm pretty sure the reason ur having problems is because of objprelink and binutils 2.12

Mentor

I finally found out:
    The debian directory is there so you can use dpkg-buildpackage to build Debian packages of KDE.
    So I'm trying to build the Debian packages right now. Never done this before, so wish me good luck ... ;D

Unofficial KDE3 debs are available at http://www.geniussystems.net/KDE3%20Experimental/

Might want to give those a try...

Mentor

Unofficial KDE3 debs are available at http://www.geniussystems.net/KDE3%20Experimental/

Might want to give those a try...
    Cool! If my compilation fails, I'll try to download it from that link. Thanks!

Mentor

Since my compile failed (just like I expected ;D) I installed KDE3 from the link above. I got it going, just have to adjust a couple of things. Those of you who have been using KDE3 for a while now, how does the stability compare to 2.2.2?

KDE3.0 is very stable for a .0 release but 2.2.2 was a bit more stable
    KDE3 has never crashed on me (and i'm running it since beta2) allthough sometimes a program may crash but it's not very common (unless ur system is b0rked)

I had problems with KDE 3 on my system mainly with the taskbar compleatly disapearing. I was using binaries created by the KDE team and was a bit supprised.

I was using binaries created by the KDE team and was a bit supprised.
    errr... are u sure about that? cuz the KDE team doesn't provide binaries and are against it. they only provide the source and they feel (rightly so) that's it up to the distro's to create binary packages

errr... are u sure about that? cuz the KDE team doesn't provide binaries and are against it. they only provide the source and they feel (rightly so) that's it up to the distro's to create binary packages
    Well, maybe not then. I got binaries from a link off of dot.kde.org when KDE3 came out.