Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SuSE 8.0 review - Good software, poor Distro

SuSE 8.0 review - Good software, poor Distro

Those of you who have read my posts at the DesktopLinux.com discussion forum may have noticed I'm a fan of SuSE's distribution. You might even be shocked by the title of this article. But don't get me wrong, I love SuSE Linux 8.0, even though I've been disappointed by some elements of it. But let's start at the beginning . . .

Read the rest here

** Mercilessly ripped from DesktopLinux.com **

Re: SuSE 8.0 review - Good software, poor Distro

now do you blame suse or KDE?

I hope I dont have the problems this guy had
    geez

I may have to look into another distro
    read the sig below

honestly... SuSE... I've had no problems with KDE of course I grabbed their official source tree and compiled that - SuSE probably changed alot of stuff. Wouldn't be the first time a vendor broke something that was perfectly ok from the begining.

I also can say I hav had no problems with Suse and I was a Mandrake user from the days when I had hair. So that is a major step for me to change distro's and keep it. Minor glitches that are to be expected from any new version but over all the best I have tried yet bar none. ;D

Ive been using SUSE8 for a couple of weeks without a problem. KDE3 is nice nice. As soon as I installed it, I ran the update, and so far so good.

I dont see myself upgrading again anytime soon. Im going back to the ole "if it aint broke..." credo. Finding the time and patience to port data back into an updated server is a pain in the buttocks.

Re:SuSE 8.0 review - Good software, poor Distro

I just finished installing SuSE 8.0 and overall I think it's a good distro.

The installation went well with only a few minor problems. It failed to select the correct mouse driver so the first post-installation boot had the cursor "stuck" in the middle of the screen. The installer found the rest of the hardware and configured it correctly.

The installer also failed to make an entry for the swap partition in fstab. I think that's because I tried to make it use an existing partition instead of letting it create a new one. Apparently the installer silently ignored my selection

The only other problems have been with KDE. It would revert to the default desktop settings each time I logged in. A quick search of SuSE's support page provided a solution, and an admonition not to log in as root. So far KDE has hung once, during a logout, and there have been some application SEGVs, mostly in Konqueror. But they were all before I used YaST2 to update the system. Hopefully it will be stable now. KDE has some simple games which look interesting and I'm looking forward to trying KonCD.

I've only read one bad review of SuSE 8.0 so far. I havn't used it (yet) but I can't see them releasing something that is crappy.

LC, I tohught you didn't like SuSE ... didn't you say it wasn't a real distro or something?

Never tried SuSE, I only called it a bad distro to tease NGene..

Seriously SuSE looks like it feature a lot of choice (to much maybe), which might be good, might be bad..

[quote author=coltrane link=board=7;threadid=1513;start=0#11282 date=1022465321]
    Ive been using SUSE8 for a couple of weeks without a problem. KDE3 is nice nice. As soon as I installed it, I ran the update, and so far so good.

I dont see myself upgrading again anytime soon. Im going back to the ole "if it aint broke..." credo. Finding the time and patience to port data back into an updated server is a pain in the buttocks.
    [/quote]

I agree. My new SuSE 8.0 with KDE 3, so far, seems to be the best OS I have ever used. I think I'll stick with this one too, until something comes up that is really compelling to upgrade.

Honestly, I did the basic install with KDE 3 and StarOffice 5.2, and then added my LaTeX stuff, Gimp and GNUplot. Everything else I need was already installed as part of the default. It was the easiest install and post install config I have ever done with any OS.

I am very, very impressed.

a dbl post
    you dont see those everyday

hoorah