Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Bye bye Debian
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye bye Debian

Hybrid View

Bye bye Debian

I just bought and installed SuSE 8 and I must say I'm very impressed! The installer did a great job and the install was just soo unbelievably easy, and all my hardware was detected without any problems. The default KDE 3 setup was also decent. Now I have tons of software to play with...

Well, there are a couple of things I need to figure out, since Debian has spoiled me so badly that I've forgot some basic things.

1) How to compile a kernel the "traditional" way (Debian's kernel-package has spoiled me)

2) How to install software from the SuSE CD's (ok, YaST is nice and all, but apt-get was still easier - no need to run some confusing gui config apps)

3) How to get to internet from cli (in Debian it was just pon and poff, now how do I get some nice scripts in SuSE so I don't have to use gui apps for connecting?)

Anyway, so far NGene likes SuSE ;D

Re: Bye bye Debian

About the only thing I can help with is internet from the CLI. If you mean web browsers then check out links (real nice) and lynx (okay).

Mentor

You will go back to Debian, sooner or later ...

About the only thing I can help with is internet from the CLI. If you mean web browsers then check out links (real nice) and lynx (okay).
    Umm, no, I mean how do I get connected at all. I'm on a dial-up connection so I'm not connected to internet all the time. Debian has this nice PPP config app that lets me configure the connection, and then I can just simply use pon and poff commands for connecting and disconnecting. No need for gui apps.

However, I haven't figured out if there's something similar in SuSE. Now I use kppp for connecting to internet, and although it works, I don't like it.

All your problems are belong to SuSe. Make your time. Go back to Debian, for great justice.

Seriously, I suggest WvDial.

Compiling kernel:
    Code:
    make dep clean
    make bzimage
    make modules modules_install
    cd arch/<your-architecture-here>/boot
    From there, copy bzImage to where ever you want it to be.

NGene if we all chip in to pay for a cable connection to your place, will you go back to using a REAL distro?

I'll lay down the first 100$

NGene if we all chip in to pay for a cable connection to your place, will you go back to using a REAL distro?

I'll lay down the first 100$
    Come one Lovechild, relax. SuSE is a real distro just as anyother distro is. Lets not start a fragmentation war :P.

Come one Lovechild, relax. SuSE is a real distro just as anyother distro is. Lets not start a fragmentation war :P.

Hey hey, my beloved NGene is a Hardcore Debian / Windowmaker user.... Please don't upset my version of reality.

wvdial and wvdialconf are your friends.

I'm surprised no one wants to bitch slap me for my AYB reference. ;D