Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Get the extra mouse buttons to work + Num lock at

Thread: Get the extra mouse buttons to work + Num lock at

Associate

Get the extra mouse buttons to work + Num lock at

I am now as happy as one can get with my linux box (100% MS free). After setting up my SB Live (big mistake ) to use all 4 speakers I need to set up the next two things:

Asign my extra side buttons to copy and paste.

This is what my Xfconfig-4 looks like for the mouse:

[code]
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "Buttons" "7"
    Option "Resolution" "100"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
    EndSection
    [code]
    This way I get the side buttons to do the scroll up/down instead of the roller but if I use

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

as suggested in the howto, I get the roller to work but xev won't see the side buttons.

So at the moment I set just run
    Code:

xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"
    to get the roller to roll and free the side buttons.

Two questions on this:

1.How do I get the above to run each time I login (.xinitrc is there but wont run at start up ).

2. How do I asign the side buttons to copy and paste?

Also if there is a way to set Xfconfig-4 so that I avoid the xmodmap command?

Finally, how can I have Num lock on everytime I log on?

I use RH7.2 (2.4.13-ac8 smp)
    KDE 2.2.1 (stock)
    XFree 4.1.0 (stock)
    MS optical mouse (4 buttons + roller/middle button) -> was a gift, sorry folks.

Thank you for your time

Re: Get the extra mouse buttons to work + Num lock

do you login from console or X?

if X then i think it's ~/.xsession or something unstead of .xinitrc

and so just put the xmodmap in there

and for numlock search for a program called numlockx and put that in your .xsession or whatever it's called too.

actually the numlock thingy is very easy with kde
    just start the KDE Control Center (kcontrol), click on Peripherals, select Keyboard, select Advanced and then there's an option to turn on numlock everytime kde starts up

Associate

Thank you both.

I compiled numlockx and worked fine, but with Ralinx's comment I think it's a no brainer.

I have used /etc/X11/xdm/Xserver_0 to run the xmodmap arguments so that the mouse buttons are swapped and also enable the win keys on my keyboard.

Now, how about asigning anything usefull to buttons 6 and 7 (the sidebuttons)?

That could probably also be done with xmodmap, but I've never used it so I wouldn't know.

(if you figure anything out, let me know, because I have a 5 button mouse too, and so far I've only been able to get the wheel to work )

I'd love to help you with xmodmap, but at the moment I have lots of other stuff to do like making X itself work