Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

"dumb" x terminal/kiosk

Thread: "dumb" x terminal/kiosk

"dumb" x terminal/kiosk

Here's what I've got:

Multiple (actually, 1 now, but easy to clone) P75's w/ 8 or 16mb ram each, running enough Slackware to boot, connect to a network, start X, and run blackbox. Actually works and works well, not to shabby performance. To do anything tho, I've redone the bb menu to point to shell scripts that do keybased ssh login to a P2-233 with 256mb ram (bixbox), then run a app, exporting the display back to the dumb terminal. I've not managed to break it (and I've been trying!), so I'm calling it Ready To Do Something.

But what? I'm thinking of web surfing stations in a library, etc. or as web terminals in the commons areas of the college I work for, etc.

Give me some ideas?

Kind Mastermind

Re: "dumb" x terminal/kiosk

Here's what I've got:

Multiple (actually, 1 now, but easy to clone) P75's w/ 8 or 16mb ram each, running enough Slackware to boot, connect to a network, start X, and run blackbox. *Actually works and works well, not to shabby performance. *To do anything tho, I've redone the bb menu to point to shell scripts that do keybased ssh login to a P2-233 with 256mb ram (bixbox), then run a app, exporting the display back to the dumb terminal. *I've not managed to break it (and I've been trying!), so I'm calling it Ready To Do Something.

But what? *I'm thinking of web surfing stations in a library, etc. or as web terminals in the commons areas of the college I work for, etc.

Give me some ideas?

Web terminals or maybe email terminals. Are there any apps you could use for registration for classes or other administrative type paperwork that doesn't really require showing up in person?

Yup, all that is available online. I guess I could add in the Acrobat plugin, flash, etc.

registration for classes or other administrative type paperwork that doesn't really require showing up in person?
    Well that could simply be handled with php and mysql, and then you'd just open that website on the dumb terminal.

A related idea: Often, in big stores like SportChek, you see "dumb" terminals wich are basically just stripped down windows boxes that can only run internet explorer, and have the homepage set to the SportChek website. You market your idea to the SportChek people and make some money setting that up for them.

It would be even better if somehow you were unable to close the browser, because I'm sure those kiosks have problems with people closing internet explorer

I like the idea of the kiosk in the sport chek stores. You could market your idea to large department stores and offer their catalog digitally as well as a directory of the store so that shoppers could find the products. Just a thought.

Well, I'm sure the property department here at the college would frown on me using college property to start my own business... at least, they had a problem with it when someone from building construction did it

I can keep Netscape running no problem, but since it is the only other option besides exit in the BB menu, and there are directions on the screen, it works fairly well.

Perhaps I'll just use a bunch of the old webcams we have and put the teaching zoo online

I can fully understand your concern over stealing college property. However, in this day of company layoffs I know that many companies are selling off excess computer equipment at more than reasonable prices (at least in Baltimore). I would be very interested in getting a business like that started. If I only had the financial backing.

Kind Mastermind

Perhaps I'll just use a bunch of the old webcams we have and put the teaching zoo online
    Or, for fun, you could put a link to the teaching zoo webcam that actually links to the webcam at the terminal being accessed. *That way, when someone clicks on the monkey cage, they see themselves!

Just kidding. *I like the idea of putting the teaching zoo online. *After you get a "reason" for doing this stuff, could you write a pet so that we can see how you did it and maybe shop the idea around to the organizations that we work for?