Thread: configuring blackbox?

configuring blackbox?

hola,

just curious as to how i can edit my /usr/sbin/fndsession file.
    i logged in as root without using X, used emacs, and basically the file seems blank.
    i tried it in kde after switching to superloser but that still didnt seem to show anything. what could i be doing wrong?

SD

Re: configuring blackbox?

You want to configure blackbox?

Look at ~/.blackboxrc for configuration, and ~/.blackbox-menu for the menu, IIRC. If you don't have those files, the global equivalents will be somewhere in /etc

in still a little new but learning linux. where would that file be?

.blackboxrc should be in /home/username (note hiding period) use "ls -a"

If you're wanting to configure things like startup comands and backgrounds/themes:

In your /home/username do "ls -a" and see if you have a .blackbox dir (note the hiding period again), if not make it.

copy blackbox-menu from /etc/X11/blackbox/ (at least that's where it is with Mandy) to your ~/.blackbox

edit ~/.blackbox/blackbox-menu

HTH

Just noticed something --

just curious as to how i can edit my /usr/sbin/fndsession file.
    /usr/sbin/fndsession is a binary, that means it's a program that you run, not a file that you edit. In that case, you'd need to get the source code and recompile it if you wanted to edit that file

Also, whenever you see ~/ at the start of a path, that means "this file is located in a user's home directory, ie /home/joeblow/file" So if your username is willie, and I tell you to edit ~/.blackboxrc, that means you should edit /home/willie/.blackboxrc.

hey thanx for getting back to me.
    2 things. you say i need to compile fndsession? all i can find if the rpm for that and i think that would be no good right?

i only see blackbox installed in /usr/local/bin/blackbox, i dont see anything related to blackbox (.blackboxrc) in my home directory even with the hidden files shown. does this sound retarded?
    i cant understand how linuxnewbie.org can call that an NHF for installing blackbox when it isnt as simple as it seems. im a newbie.....yet that nhf seems cut and dried but yet...........im stil scratching my butt.......errrrrrr, head........
    same thing

SD

I think we need to know what it is that you are aiming to do, before we can help fully.

you say i need to compile fndsession?
    No, I said if you wanted to edit fndsession, you'd have to compile it - but it's obvious that you can't code and don't need to change fndsession (sorry if that offends). Whatever you read, you'll probably want to run fndsession, but I've never heard of it, and I've never needed it to use blackbox.

i dont see anything related to blackbox (.blackboxrc) in my home directory even with the hidden files shown. does this sound retarded?
    No, it's likely that you don't have a user config file, you've just been using the global config file for it (/etc/blackboxrc, or it could be hidden in /etc/X11 somewhere). Just copy it to ~/.blackboxrc then edit it to your liking.

i cant understand how linuxnewbie.org can call that an NHF for installing blackbox when it isnt as simple as it seems.
    (I can't believe I'm saying this, but...)

apt-get install blackbox. Was that hard?

I looked at my docs and it says that .blackboxrc will be writen the first time you finish a BB session.

If you've been into BB then you might check permisions (all though highly unlikely that you can't write to your own home dir)

Themes.org used to have some great stuff on configuring BB, that was before all the changes there. Last time I checked it wasn't there any more but it might be worth investigating.

--edit--
    I've been using MS far too long

Re: ok then  :)

i got blackbox in my login
    manager finally so when x starts i can choose it. i
    had to edit my .xinitrc file. now it reads like this:

exec startkde #for kde
    exec gnome-session #for gnome
    exec wmaker #for windowmaker
    exec enlightenment #for enlightenment
    exec blackbox #for blackbox

my question is this though: when blackbox starts its