Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kde 2.2.2

kde 2.2.2

Just got redhat working the way I like it and I'd like to get the latest kde. I'm waiting for the kde 2.2.2 rpm for redhat 7.2 to get on there site. Anyways will the upgrade screw up any settings or anything else and do I need QT 3 installed. I don't know what version redhat has.

Re: kde 2.2.2

normally it should keep the old settings , cause they arent stored in the kde install dir.
    For the installation / compilation you should get the latest stable qt which is 2.3.2 i think .. this version is still compatible with qt2

the kde ftp site has many kde rpms for 2.2.2 Should I look through and find the ones I need is there one large package for kde 2.2.2 because I can't find one anywhere

Kind Mastermind

the kde ftp site has many kde rpms for 2.2.2 Should I look through and find the ones I need is there one large package for kde 2.2.2 because I can't find one anywhere
    You will need to download all of the packages that you have installed on your system. Use the upgrade command. I am certain that there is no large package, but I might be wrong.

the pain in the ass is searching through finding the packages i have installed already. What upgrade command is this?

the syntax for upgrading something is rpm -Uvh <packagename>
    for the packages itself you just need to download the core packages, the disadvantage however is that you would miss some good programs ..

--
    You need at least the Qt and kdelibs packages, and kdebase for the base applications. The other packages contain many other applications, for networking, graphics, multimedia, games and of course KOffice.
    -- quoted from kde.org

Ya I know about that. I thought you meant some kind of upgrade command like apt-get or something

hmm .. redhat has some program called uptodate or something that works like apt-get .. but i never used it ..

Good Guru

its called up2date and works extremely well. That is one of the reasons I keep coming back. The pathetic Mandrake Update should take a good lesson from it. An extremely easy and efficient way to keep up on the lateset and greatest that RH deems safe to add in.

From my experience up2date only updates already installed packages on your system. Does it work like apt-get with searching for packages online and installing new ones?