Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Libranet Confusion

Libranet Confusion

I have downloaded a couple of new WindowManagers (Fluxbox - amiwm - oroborus) and i cannot find the file to put them in so i can select them when i boot-up to GUI. i am using GDM and not xinit.

On my other distro (Mandrake) there is a login manager which makes it fairly easy to intergrate new WM's, but in my Libranet distro, there is no KDE login manager. I checked my /etc/X11/Xsessions file, but there is no reference to any WM.
    Cheers
    LiNuts

Mentor

Re: Libranet Confusion

Do:
    apt-get install kdm

That will istall the KDE login manager and remove gdm.

Good Guru

BTW - Is there a place to get current libranet iso's? I have thing about at least trying each distro, and that is one havent tried.

Do:
    apt-get install kdm

That will istall the KDE login manager and remove gdm.
    Hi cloverm,
    I did as you said, but now i have lost my users login, i can login as root. at the end of the apt-get install kdm, it said "stopping gdm" and then dropped me to the command prompt,

I typed "startx" but it still left me at the CL. when i su'd to root and used startx, it lets me into the gui (still gdm).

I tried a re-boot but al i get is a grey screen. When i apt-getted(!!!) it loaded on a heap of different libraries and kde3lib (15.9Mb).
    how do i get my normal user login back ??
    Cheers
    LiNuts

O.K. i have got my user login back, apparently when i re-booted there was an old .xinitrc script in my ~/home dir, so i removed it and can now boot as user, i also changed the /etc/inittab to boot to level 5 instead of level 2 (i dont know if this makes a difference??) but i am still booting gdm,
    How do i stop gdm and start using kdm ?.
    Cheers
    LiNuts

Mentor

O.K. i have got my user login back, apparently when i re-booted there was an old .xinitrc script in my ~/home dir, so i removed it and can now boot as user, i also changed the /etc/inittab to boot to level 5 instead of level 2 (i dont know if this makes a difference??) but i am still booting gdm,
    How do i stop gdm and start using kdm ?.
    Cheers
    LiNuts
    Edit your /etc/X11/default-display-manager file.

I know this is going to sound silly ???, but i dont have a /etc/X11/default-display-manager. I have an Xsession file that uses xdm and xinit, but i dont really understand the Xsession file ( I am loath to edit it ).
    I did a search for default-display-manager, but got nothing that looked remotley like what you are suggesting.

Exactly how does Libranet use its WM options??.
    Cheers
    LiNuts

BTW - *Is there a place to get current libranet iso's? *I have thing about at least trying each distro, and that is one havent tried. *
    You can get the most recent ISO at www.libranet.com . *The most recent is 1.9.1. *I emailed them and asked when the next version will be released and they said it should be sometime during the next 2 weeks. *I'm looking forward to it.....

O.K. the saga continues. I have managed to get my WM's into the bootup gui, albeit its gdm, but i re-ran apt-get install kdm and got this error message:
    "replacing files in old package kdebase-libs, dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs3 (-unpack). trying to overwrite /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/devices/3floppy_mount.png.
    dpkg.debs sub-process paste killed by signal (broken pipe).
    E: sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned error code (1)".

Now when i log in i get this. " No servers defined in the configuration file and XDMCP was disabled, this can only be a configuration error, So i have started a single server for you, You should login and fix the configuration."

So how doi fix the configuration so i can login as a user on level 2. i checked my /etc/inittab and it is set for level 2 ( ichanged it back from level 5). I dont think i can use kdm until i get these problems fixed.
    Cheers
    Linuts

O.K. I have fixed the problem with the server error, apparently when i apt-got kdm it upgraded gdm as well !!, but didn't put the server info in the gdm.conf file, so i looked in my /etc/gdm dir and their was a file with the factory settings in it, so i cp'd the relevant info into my upgraded gdm.conf and it works fine.

Now i still have the problem of the error messages from my trying to install kdm, ( I'm now wondering if i should keep trying to install it as gdm is working and recognising most of my WM's - not amwi).

If anyone knows how to fix the errors i would be greatful for some clues, I htink i have a stubborn streak in me that wants to keep on trying to install kdm. >
    Thanks for all your help.
    Cheers
    LiNuts