Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

LOL - Back to iceWM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LOL - Back to iceWM

LOL - Back to iceWM

Yup. I switched back. IceWM is the window manager for me. KDE is nice and all, but I can do what I need in ice and it is faster and smaller and has less baggage.

I guess I just love iceWM. ;D

Re: LOL - Back to iceWM

thats the reason why I always come back to 8)WindowMaker8) .. its clean and starts very fast.

i tried iceWM - could not get used to it... to cold or something. back to fvwm

Good Guru

I also think KDE2.2 is great and all but in speed ? Nothing can beat IceWM yet as of my experence goes ....

Good Guru

KDE is high on my shit list. I am definitely migrating back to Afterstep. Started on it and will probably die on it.

I also think KDE2.2 is great and all but in speed ? Nothing can beat IceWM yet as of my experence goes ....
    i just started IceWM and ran all my regularly used programs in it to see if i could notice a speed difference from kde 2.2.2 (that's what i normally use)

NOT ONE program ran faster in IceWM on my box and my box is a PIII 450 with 256MB's of RAM (so that's not really a very fast box)

of course, this is a highly optimised LFS system and my KDE has been optimised to the max (compiled with -O3 -march=i686 and objectprelinking)

therefore i will not trade in KDE's user friendlyness and eye candy for the supposedly increased speed that IceWM offers

the only advantage that IceWM offers me is that IceWM starts up instantly and my KDE takes 11 seconds to start but since i only start KDE once a day i don't really care about those 11 seconds

Mentor

Sorry blackbox is the best. I find it starts straight away and everythings runs nice and fast. And it is small.

Sorry blackbox is the best. I find it starts straight away and everythings runs nice and fast. And it is small.
    I like Blackbox. I like its philosophy, which seems to be, "Manage Windows. Manage them very well. And while you're at, look good too."

Blackbox doesn't have enough shortcut keys. I am forced to use my trackball which sucks. It does look good though. Ice rocks.

Blackbox is c00l and I'll switch to it when I'll be able to use a keyboard shortcut for opening the apps menu in it... like in Window Maker.

So far it's 8) Window Maker 8) for me