Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

KDE does not start

Thread: KDE does not start

Associate

KDE does not start

Hi,

I got a little problem concerning KDE on a laptop, though having read some HOWTOS and FAQs.
    I installed Red Hat 7.2 on a Lion Iterno 200. I configured the X server manually, setting it to 1024x768 SVGA, 50-70Hz, and the X server is able to start. I even see the typical screenshot of KDE, asking me if I can see this.
    After that, when I reboot and log in, KDE starts until initializing peripherals. The screen gets black and remains black. I can even hear the start up melody. Very pretty, at least the sound functions...
    But I do not have any problem starting with GNOME. I can then (having started GNOME) configure KDE with the KDE control panel/menu. But no way to start KDE without hanging up in the way mentioned above.
    Another installation of the same OS before on the same laptop ended with the possibility to log in in KDE as root and the hanging up problem when I logged in as a user. As root, I had changed some configuration, so KDE could function. I just do not remember what it was, but at least this proves that KDE can run on this machine.

Has anybody experience with this kind of problem, is there a way to see what is happening when KDE starts (a kind of kde log file), or is there a way to make KDE start in a secure mode?

Thanks in advance

Torsten Rox

Re: KDE does not start

hi irox, and welcome to linux junior, I hope we can be of help to you.

My guess on the kde being black issue is some power management stuff if kicking in and shutting down the screen. I have never had this problem, but if i had to guess that would be it.

Mentor

so what your saying is that kde DOES start when you sign on with root?

what about creating a new user and seeing if it works.

in gnome can you change desktop enviroments, i cant remember exactly where but there should be an option some where in a menu to change desktops, change it to kde and restart the x server and see what happens.

try deleting the .kde directory in ur homedir and then try again
    u'll lose all ur kde settings though so if they're important make a backup of the dir first (or just simply rename it)

Associate

Hi,

thanx for your replies. Here some experiences:

«some power management stuff»
    Good idea, I thought, switching everything off, beginning with BIOS powersaving, also under GNOME and KDE. But it didn't help.
    «what about creating a new user and seeing if it works»
    That's what I did in the installation before, but it did not work.
    «i cant remember exactly where but there should be an option some where in a menu to change desktops, change it to kde and restart the x server and see what happens»
    It's in the KDE control panel. But it does not work. KDE keeps hanging.
    «try deleting the .kde directory in ur homedir and then try again»
    AFAIK this directory does not exist yet, at least not under /root nor under /home/user1/. Perhaps this could be a hint?

I will keep on trying, and tell you what's going wrong.

T. Rox

Associate

Hi folks,

I keep learning. Under /var/log/messages I see that when starting up KDE, the machine says two times

Dec 30 21:40:10 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-1
    Dec 30 21:40:10 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-1-0

Nothing more. I still do not know if there is really a relation. I'll keep on searching.

Best regards

T. Rox

hum,
    the sound modules should not prevent KDE from starting up.

i would open another window manager like twm or fvwm and then start an app like konquer or even kdeinit and see if there are any screwy messages.