Thread: Gnome to be based on .NET

Hybrid View

Gnome to be based on .NET

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/23919.html

i never liked Gnome, and now i sure as hell never will

Re: Gnome to be based on .NET

Sounds like an idea... not really sure if it's good or bad.

If we have to use .NET, at least use something which is completely free, like dotGNU. Not Mono crap which has M$ in it !

i just say: to hell with gnome, to hell with ximian, and to hell with .NET and Mono

They said:

Miguel also had praise for the .NET versioning architecture, - "an outstanding job" - similar to the versioning Unix has had for years.
    I heard:

"It's amazing," Miguel said, "Redmond has almost gotten to where Unix was in the 70's."
    They said:

"They have a beautiful security system and we're emulating the whole security infrastructure. It's actually easier to use than the Windows counterpart. We're basically wrapping the Unix functionality inside the Windows functionality.
    I heard:

"Well, we took Unix. Then we removed everything that made it good. Now, we're going to call it "Gnome" and try to make people use it.
    They said:

"Well in the Windows world they use SOAP… they do not talk about proprietary protocols.
    I heard:

Everybody who's contributed code to Windows, .NET, or anything related needs to have their mouths washed out with SOAP.
    They said:

"OK there are two security modeks in place - one is the Windows NTN security model; which is actually a pretty [pauses] … You've seen security holes in Microsoft products - buffer overflows - they're not problems in the security architecture - that happens with Unix too. They happen to be really bad at managing their bugs, and not providing fixes on time, but that's another issue. That's the NT security system.
    I heard:

"Ok, Windows NT is good because it has buffer overflows. That's how Windows NT works. It also has the added benefit of never getting the security patches it needs until years after the exploits have been discovered.
    They said:

"Yes, you shouldn't lock yourself out of .NET.
    I heard:

"Mmmmmmm Microsoft iz gudness with fun. I like cookies and fun. Cookies iz good.

LOL...

But I actually had a debate with a knowlegdable friend of mine - He told me that .NET would be the natural evolution for GNOME. Like it or not !

Good Guru

I always knew that de Icaza was an ass. From back when HelixCode got going, I ran into him on an IRC chatroom. Acted like a dick. Heres the final blow. He insults people for the wrong reasons, bashes distros (Slackers know what I mean) and acts like his products are god. I had a slight feeling it was because his english skills may have been lacking. I guess that was the wrong feeling. Ahh, well.....thats the joy of linux choices. Good, bad and insanely moronic.

Sounds like an idea... not really sure if it's good or bad.

If we have to use .NET, at least use something which is completely free, like dotGNU. Not Mono crap which has M$ in it !
    I think Lovechild has the right attitude towards it. I don't like .Net (Hell, I don't even know what it is .. they are to vauge about it!) but some people and somethings are going to use it.

I mean the bonobo and other structure libs for GNOME already resemble .NET in design - so naturally GNOME will evolve into some sort of .NET thingy...

Anyways, I use KDE, and I'm very happy with it, so I don't bother with GNOME anymore

Good Guru

<quote from RMS>
    A person in the audience asked me what I thought about Miguel's changing the license of GNOME to the X11 license. Such a change for
    GNOME has not occurred and is not planned, since it would go against GNU Project policies. But Ximian did make such a license change for Mono, which is not a GNU package. So I figured the questioner had read the Mono license change announcement and then misremembered it as referring to GNOME. I said so, but I tried not to be harsh about it.
    </quote>

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/23978.html

<quoted from Miguel de Icaza>

GNOME is not adopting Mono or .NET as an implementation
    technology. The headline from the Register is misleading,
    for a number of reasons:
    <quoted>

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php...11-20-OP-GN-MS