Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XFce

XFce

After all the talk and reading about CDE, I installed XFce and started playing around with it. And I am very, very impressed. This is one fast and functional little desktop. It is a breeze to configure and customize too.

XFce has a number of very cool things, which I may talk about in depth after I have some more play time with it, that may quickly move me to use it full time- its that good. Fast, stable, very, very functional and easy to use. Holy desktops, batman- this is kewl!

Re: XFce

Used to be my favourite a year ago. It's 8)

It is so darn fast and so darn easy to use. I am just learning all the ends and outs of this thing, but I sure do see the appeal. It has a very Unix feel to it, very not Windows, yet also easy and intuitive to work with. It has a very mature feel as well.

Kind Mastermind

It is so darn fast and so darn easy to use. *I am just learning all the ends and outs of this thing, but I sure do see the appeal. *It has a very Unix feel to it, very not Windows, yet also easy and intuitive to work with. *It has a very mature feel as well. *

Exactly my feelings. I like it's windowy feeling without it being Windows. Kind of a good mix of the two without the bad parts of both.

I hate the way the bar looks though. It's so clunky and fake feeling to me.

Kind Mastermind

After all the talk and reading about CDE, I installed XFce and started playing around with it. *And I am very, very impressed. *This is one fast and functional little desktop. *It is a breeze to configure and customize too.

XFce has a number of very cool things, which I may talk about in depth after I have some more play time with it, that may quickly move me to use it full time- its that good. *Fast, stable, very, very functional and easy to use. *Holy desktops, batman- this is kewl! *
    Try this link out: http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/1931/1/. *It is a great article, only four pages long, that talks about xfce from the view point of someone who really likes kde. If you weren't sold before, you will be after reading this article.

I must disagree, as one who has spoken much of the goodness of the Win95 style taskbar, the XFce panel is very, very functional and configurable and may well be superior to the Win95 GUI. *

yeah that's true!

my ideas of xfce:
    - incredibly ugly looking, i checked out screenies on xfce.classic.themes.org, with the though "there must be good screenies of it here, nobody would use it if it's always that ugly" but i didn't found a goodlooking xfce screenshot (if anyone could give me an url from which you say "this xfce desktop is just amazing", that would be really nice). i tried to configure it with some themes, but didn't found anything to change the theme etc. Furthermore, as said above, that panel is really ugly and unusable. but i suppose i can disable it and use kicker, the kde taskbar.

I would REALLY appreciate some links to nice-looking xfce desktops.

my ideas of xfce:
    - incredibly ugly looking, i checked out screenies on xfce.classic.themes.org, with the though "there must be good screenies of it here, nobody would use it if it's always that ugly" but i didn't found a goodlooking xfce screenshot (if anyone could give me an url from which you say "this xfce desktop is just amazing", that would be really nice). i tried to configure it with some themes, but didn't found anything to change the theme etc. Furthermore, as said above, that panel is really ugly and unusable. but i suppose i can disable it and use kicker, the kde taskbar.

I would REALLY appreciate some links to nice-looking xfce desktops.
    OK, but first we need to know a few things.

What do you consider ugly in a window manager?

What do you consider attractive?

Why do you think your the authority on what is and isn't ugly?

Why should I care what you think?

Thanks