Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Screenshots of X
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screenshots of X

Screenshots of X

I used to just use Ksnapshot, but now that I've deleted KDE I can't do that anymore. I know there's a console command to get a screenshot, but I forget what it is. The man page for xwd looks about right, though it dumps the screen into it's own "xwd" format ("XWD X-Widows Dump image data, "xwdump", 1024x768x24&quot, and I can't get it to save the files in a real format like PNG.

The man page says to see xpr, but I don't have that installed for some reason. Any suggestions?

Re: Screenshots of X

How about the import command from the ImageMagick tools...

import -window root screenshot.jpg

Gimp can do screenshots too.

Another vote for 'import'. If you don't have that, you can use 'xwd'

I'd like to use xwd. How's it work, though? I can't get it to make pictures in any sort of useable format.

Read about 'convert'

Thanks, this is what I came up with:

Code:
    function screenshot() {

number=0
     directory=/home/feztaa/images/screenshots

for i in $directory/*
     do
      number=$(expr $number + 1)
     done
     echo -n "Taking screenshot number $number ... "
     name="$directory/snapshot$number"
     play ~/sound/intro.wav &&
     xwd -out $name.xwd -root -silent &&
     play ~/sound/daffy.wav &&
     convert $name.xwd $name.png &&
     rm $name.xwd -rf && echo "done." || echo "failed."
    }
    That goes in my .bashrc, and I can just run 'screenshot' to take a screenshot.

Some notes:

- the screenshots directory must contain at least one file, or the script won't work (I just threw a readme file in there).

- intro.wav is about 5 seconds long. It just gives me time to set up the shot (change desks, etc), and when it's over I know the shot is being taken. Then daffy duck laughs a bit and that's how I know the shot is done (I used -silent on xwd because the beeps are often drown out by my subwoofer, and are thus useless and annoying when I do hear them)

Well, now that you have 'convert' why not use 'import' do do your screenshot?

I use the Gimp

Slackware 8, Fluxbox:

http://webpages.charter.net/srose2/fluxscreen1.jpg

Well, now that you have 'convert' why not use 'import' do do your screenshot?
    Because I'm lazy and what I've got now works