Thread: Seen this yet?-----XPwm

Associate

Seen this yet?-----XPwm

might interest you...might not.
    i thought it was pretty neat :-/
    http://xpwm.qadram.com/

Mentor

Re: Seen this yet?-----XPwm

Why would you want your desktop to look like windows? isn't the whole reason for using Linux is, because you DONT want to use windows? Well i guess maybe to make it user friendly for those that only know windows.

Somethings i tought that were funny from the web page:

There's a lot of things to do, this it's only a beta version, that it's not still very usable, but if you are curious you can download it. Any comments and help are welcome!!

I want to achieve two main goals with this project, learn as much as possible Kylix+Linux and provide a familiar interface to users that wants to migrate to an stable and powerful operating system. I know that many Linux users will be against this project, but this will demonstrate that Windows it's a toy compared with Linux.

I can feel some pratical jokes coming on... ;D

I think its a nice idea it may be against the ideals of linux but think of all the win users who are willing to step over to linux .. it wont hit them so hard if they will have a familiar desktop ..

I've said this before, and I'll say it again- there is nothing wrong with the Windows GUI. *I like it. *It is a very usable, simple interface with a lot of functionality.

It just happens to be wrapped around a turd of an OS. * ;D

Kind Mastermind

Interesting. Sort of. I can see why someone would want to use such an item, but, really now. Why would I want to make Linux look like Windows? I don't mind Windows too much, it's just that I like Linux more. I like Linux's differences. Maybe the project will turn out a good product, maybe not. Who knows?

I don't have a problem with it if it makes someone feel warm, fuzzy or at home. I like some variety in a wm, but windows has looked essentially the same since win 95.

Associate

just thought i'd show it to you guys...didn't actually expect anyone on here to use it

;D It's flux/blackbox for me. ;D

dave

I might try it out, just because I'm a sucker for transparencies...

I think this wm will be best for people who want to convert other people to linux, but the other people don't want to convert -- so install linux secretly and give them this wm, they'll never know the difference. Then after a few months, "Oh btw, you've been using linux for a few months..."

Advisor

Why make it as a project of a WM ?
    this look and feel, can be acieved with a small theme for iceWM or a rewrite of the configuration file for fvwm95, or did anyone mentioned a kde theme??