Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Changing resolution and Sound troubles

Thread: Changing resolution and Sound troubles

Associate

Changing resolution and Sound troubles

Does anyone know how to change the resolution without rebooting? Or even better, setting certain desktops to different resloutions? Also I get an error message everytime I log on telling me my sound isn't working where would I start looking to fix that? It doesn't work in windows either but that doesn't bother me too much. The speakers and sound card are pretty new and im sure still functional the sound started acted funny in windows everytime I ran starcraft I had to reinstall everything and the sound hasn't worked since(i am using XP which ussually configures everything and configured the sound without trouble the first install, I did not have Linux installed before I reinstalled everything so whatever prevented windows from configureing the sound might also have prevented Linux)

Brett

Re: Changing resolution and Sound troubles

for resolution add modes to your XF86Config in /etc/X11/
    under each screen depth add
    modes "1024x768" like that
    I think you can use ctrl+/- to change resolution don't know about depth though

would be easier if you told us what soundcard you have

I'm not sure about your sound problem. However, I am running X at 1152x864 on one console, and at 800x600 on another console. I need to run xp(through vmware) at low res for some programs. This is what I do...and I'm sure there is probably a better/more efficient solution. Open up your /etc/X11/XF86Config or XF86Config-4 and edit this section.

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Card0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 16
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1152x864"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

I start my first session at 1152x864. Then I edit the Modes line to say 800x600. Then I use this script to start another session on a free console. http://www.stanford.edu/~epop/x

Good Guru

What sound card is it again, a SB Live?

Associate

*I need to run xp(through vmware) at low res for some programs. *
    I was curious if there was a typo. Your running Microsoft XP in vmware. You booted into linux and have xp open in one desktop?

the sound card: Aureal Vortex 2 is written on it. As with most of my parts I know nothing about them that can't be detected or read on the card. It is a real nice one though it has a joystick port and supports surround sound.

Sorry that wasn't very clear. I am running Linux as my first OS. So I boot into Linux and open my first X window session at 1152x864. To access this from a virtual console I press ctrl-alt-f7. However, I need to run some windows programs at a lower resolution...So what I do is this, I edit my XF86Config to run 800x600 res, then I press ctrl-alt-f2 to access a virtual console, then I run that x script I mentioned and voila, I now have another X window session running at 800x600. To access this session I press ctrl-alt-f8. It is in this low resolution session that I run windows XP through vmware. Of course you can run vmware on a virtual "desktop" if you don't need to tweak the resolution. So basically, I have different virtual consoles configured at different resolutions...and I think you want different desktops at different resolutions...so this probably hasn't helped you in the slightest...sorry

Associate

for resolution add modes to your XF86Config in /etc/X11/
    under each screen depth add
    modes "1024x768" like that
    I think you can use ctrl+/- to change resolution don't know about depth though

would be easier if you told us what soundcard you have
    I edited both the XF86Config and the XF86Config-4 so that 4 different resolutions were in there. now I push ctrl+ and ctrl- and nothing happens. do i need to set this up or something?

Good Guru

its ctrl alt and plus or minus. that will cycle thru ALL rezzes of each bitdepth.

Associate

cool ctrl alt works good. I created three directories in root as root user. I mount these everytime I log on. root is the only one they will let edit the partition that i mount. Where do I find automount and how do I automount these drives. Also how can I set it so that my main user can edit these partitions as he sees fit. Oh and is there a way to kill an app in KDE without opening up the console mode? I know in gnome you can right click on the bar at the bottom and select kill. Thanks for all the help so far.

Good Guru

cool ctrl alt works good. I created three directories in root as root user. I mount these everytime I log on. root is the only one they will let edit the partition that i mount. Where do I find automount and how do I automount these drives. Also how can I set it so that my main user can edit these partitions as he sees fit. Oh and is there a way to kill an app in KDE without opening up the console mode? I know in gnome you can right click on the bar at the bottom and select kill. Thanks for all the help so far.
    Well, there is an automont configuration file, that is for the most part self explanatory, but the man page filled in the blanks for me pretty well. You can setup the other patitions to mount automatically in the /etc/fstab file. DO read the man page on this. I am at work on a winblows box, and dont have the time to look it up on google as of this moment (give me 2 hours or so, and Ill be more than happy) but there you can set the read/write permissions for each mount.

As for kill, yeh, run xkill (KDE button, run application, xkill) and point the skull+crosbones on the app window you wish to kill.