Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

compiling KDE 2.2.2 makes a huge difference!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: compiling KDE 2.2.2 makes a huge difference!

compiling KDE 2.2.2 makes a huge difference!

I compiled KDE 3.0 Beta for testing and noticed that it was slightly faster than my [default] kde 2 install eventhough it was compiled in debug mode (which I hear is suppose to make things run much slower). So I compiled Kde 2.2.2 in final mode and wow! it is much faster.

All of the programs open in half the time and everything is just generally more responsive. It isn't difficult at all to do, so if you have some time I would definitely recommend it to those of you who like to use KDE.

Re: compiling KDE 2.2.2 makes a huge difference!

object prelinking help's as well

Yep, and it's still too slow for everyday use! Geh.

The KDE 2.2.x in Slackware -current is plenty fast on my dual 450.... haven't even thought about recompiling... if it do, it will be as part of a LFS system.

I just don't buy the speed argument. yes, it is slower than IceWM or XFce, but not by that much and the functionality and ease of use more than make up for the slight lack of speed.

yes, it is slower than IceWM or XFce, but not by that much
    Whoa, what are you smoking? Maybe you've got a dual 1GHz processor setup, but on my lowly PII-300MHz, KDE compiled with optimizations and objprelinking is still painfully slow to use. XFCE, from the debian package (with no special recompiling for speed) is faster and more responsive (stuff pops up in the same second that I click on it).

and the functionality and ease of use more than make up for the slight lack of speed.
    No, because I barely use any of the features anyway (just look at my current FVWM theme if you don't believe I'm a minimalist), and the extra 2 or 3 seconds it takes to pop up the "K" menu is just brutal compared to my FVWM menu which pops up instantly.

I have a AMD T-Bird 800 Mhz and KDE runs very fast, even with out compiling it. *I like the KDE apps (such as Konqueror, KATE, KMail, etc) and the QT libraries. *The K-Menu opens instantly and the programs are almost as fast. *I'm definitely NOT a minimalist when it comes to computing. *I like the eye candy (well, some of it anyway ) and the functionality provided by KDE. *I can't stand most of those other WMs with their tiny icons and ugly widgets. *:

BTW, what is object prelinking?

I have a AMD T-Bird 800 Mhz and KDE runs very fast, even with out compiling it.
    Well that's more than double my CPU. And you people wonder why I say KDE is slow...

I like the KDE apps (such as Konqueror, KATE, KMail, etc) and the QT libraries.
    I used to like Konq, but Mozilla is just so much better. Aside from that, I don't see anything special about any of the other KDE apps.

I like the eye candy
    Me too, but not if it means I have to wait a matter of seconds for my menu to pop up.

and the functionality provided by KDE.
    The ironic part is that if anything, FVWM has more functionality than KDE, I just have most of it turned off. Can your KDE be configured to move and resize windows with the mouse wheel?? I thought not ;P

I can't stand most of those other WMs with their tiny icons
    Icons are for wusses :P

BTW, what is object prelinking?
    It's something you can do to KDE (or anything else, in theory) at compile time to make it faster. I wouldn't worry about it unless KDE is really slow and painful for you, or you're doing LFS.

Well that's more than double my CPU. And you people wonder why I say KDE is slow...
    A Tbird 850 costs $45. *Why don't you just get one and stop fiddling around with a 300?

The ironic part is that if anything, FVWM has more functionality than KDE, I just have most of it turned off. Can your KDE be configured to move and resize windows with the mouse wheel?? I thought not ;P
    Why would you want to be able to resize your window with your mouse wheel?

A Tbird 850 costs $45. Why don't you just get one and stop fiddling around with a 300?
    Because

A) My processor is perfectly fast enough to run all of my programs, and

B) that's $45 US, which is like $70 CDN, plus the new mobo I'll need (right?) makes it slightly out of my price range (having $20 to my name).

Why would you want to be able to resize your window with your mouse wheel?
    Just so I can laught at you because you can't do it! hahahahhahahh!!! ;D