Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YACGACHWMP

YACGACHWMP

Yet Another CGA Changes His Window Manager Post

<drum roll>
    So, cga returns to IceWM, which is where he was when he decided to start looking for a differnet GUI. This news should come as no surprise to anyone who has watched me do this before at least three times. IceWM is, by far, my favorite window manager and I always end up back here, no matter what I do. I don't want a fancy GUI, I just want something fast, stable, easy and functional and Ice is all of the above. Yes, it can look a lot like Windows. It can also look nothing like Windows, but as I have said many times, I like the Windows GUI. I like the taskbar.

The point I want to make here (yes, there is one) is that Linux is all about choice, tweaking and customizing. You don't have to follow any one central "way" of doing things and you are always free to change your mind. And that is all I have to say about that.

Re: YACGACHWMP

Have you tried Fvwm at all? It can look like Win95 too, or it can look like any damn thing you want it to look like

Have you tried Fvwm at all? It can look like Win95 too, or it can look like any damn thing you want it to look like
    Yes, I used fvwm95 (Another Level actually) on Red Hat 5.2 and 6.0 back before I discovered IceWM. IceWM is much easier to use. I will admit that fvwm is far more configuable, but I can't think of anything that I want to change about IceWM.

Kind Mastermind

Yes, I used fvwm95 (Another Level actually) on Red Hat 5.2 and 6.0 back before I discovered IceWM. *IceWM is much easier to use. *I will admit that fvwm is far more configuable, but I can't think of anything that I want to change about IceWM.
    What, precisely, is it about IceWM that keeps you coming back? Is it themeability? Is some other such thing? I am really curious, since I haven't really tried it out yet. BTW, I enjoy your WM posts.

What, precisely, is it about IceWM that keeps you coming back? Is it themeability? Is some other such thing? I am really curious, since I haven't really tried it out yet. BTW, I enjoy your WM posts.
    I keep comming back to IceWM because it is very usable, easy and very fast. You can install it along with the Iceprefs config tool, pick any of the stock themes you happen to fancy, make a few minor tweaks and there you go. It is very easy to configure and has all the good aspects of the Windoze GUI (start menu, taskbar, quick launch buttons on the taskbar). You can turn off all the above, if you want. IceWM is 100% Gnome compatible (if you care). It is light on resources, lightning fast, rock solid stable (I have never had an IceWM crash) and gets out of the way while you work.

IceWM lets you setup hotkeys and you can operate the wm without a mouse as all mousey function have keyboard equilivants which, by default, match those of Windoze- great for those of us who use both systems.

IceWM looks pretty good too. You can theme the heck out of it if you like, or you can just use a basic look. I like to have a clean, simple interface, and IceWM gives me that.

All in all, IceWM just works well for me.
    And thanks for the compliment. I like writing about my experiences with Linux and with trying differnt things. I hope it can be of benifit to other newbies.

Mentor

i'm using ice now too!!!

can you put icons on the desktop? only if i use gnome or kde right?

i'm using ice now too!!!

can you put icons on the desktop? only if i use gnome or kde right?
    Check out Tkdesk.

gmc is another alternative.

I keep comming back to IceWM because it is very usable, easy and very fast. You can install it along with the Iceprefs config tool, pick any of the stock themes you happen to fancy, make a few minor tweaks and there you go. It is very easy to configure and has all the good aspects of the Windoze GUI (start menu, taskbar, quick launch buttons on the taskbar). You can turn off all the above, if you want. IceWM is 100% Gnome compatible (if you care). It is light on resources, lightning fast, rock solid stable (I have never had an IceWM crash) and gets out of the way while you work.

IceWM lets you setup hotkeys and you can operate the wm without a mouse as all mousey function have keyboard equilivants which, by default, match those of Windoze- great for those of us who use both systems.

IceWM looks pretty good too. You can theme the heck out of it if you like, or you can just use a basic look. I like to have a clean, simple interface, and IceWM gives me that.

And thanks for the compliment. I like writing about my experiences with Linux and with trying differnt things. I hope it can be of benifit to other newbies.
    That's pretty cool that you have found your nitch in the DE/WM....

me? I keep coming back to fluxbox (;

Kind Mastermind

I keep comming back to IceWM because it is very usable, easy and very fast. *You can install it along with the Iceprefs config tool, pick any of the stock themes you happen to fancy, make a few minor tweaks and there you go. *It is very easy to configure and has all the good aspects of the Windoze GUI (start menu, taskbar, quick launch buttons on the taskbar). *You can turn off all the above, if you want. *IceWM is 100% Gnome compatible (if you care). *It is light on resources, lightning fast, rock solid stable (I have never had an IceWM crash) and gets out of the way while you work.

IceWM looks pretty good too. *You can theme the heck out of it if you like, or you can just use a basic look. *I like to have a clean, simple interface, and IceWM gives me that. *

And thanks for the compliment. *I like writing about my experiences with Linux and with trying differnt things. *I hope it can be of benifit to other newbies. *
    I really like XFce, but I might just download IceWM and give it a shot. I need to clean up my download directory first, though, as I have way too much stuff in it. Anyone else download a bunch of crap and then forget which program the files went to?