Thread: Mozilla 0.9.8

Mozilla 0.9.8

OK. I finally upgraded to 0.9.8 from 0.9.4. Wow. I mean, WOW! Any reservations I use to have about Mozilla were swept away. This Browser rocks. It is faster (especially in IceWM). I renders everything I throw at it without hickups. It has tabs!!!! ;D

I also decided to go back to using Mozilla Mail. I was thinking of trying to learn Mutt, but my e-mail needs are so simple that I can not justify using something more complex the Moz. I like the integration too.

This pretty much completes my quest for all the Linux apps I need. My system is now complete. I am happy.

Re: Mozilla 0.9.8

OK. I finally upgraded to 0.9.8 from 0.9.4. Wow. I mean, WOW! Any reservations I use to have about Mozilla were swept away. This Browser rocks. It is faster (especially in IceWM). I renders everything I throw at it without hickups.
    What were you using previously? Moz is my favorite browser too -- beats Konq, Opera, and IE put together

It has tabs!!!! ;D
    My only complaint is that the tabs should be stricter (or at least optionally stricter). They should be much more like Opera.

I also decided to go back to using Mozilla Mail. I was thinking of trying to learn Mutt, but my e-mail needs are so simple that I can not justify using something more complex the Moz. I like the integration too.
    Bah, I can't stand integration. I subscribe to the unix philosophy: one tool for one job. In other words: Keep It Simple, Stupid. Mozilla surfs. Mutt read emails. BitchX for IRC. Slrn for news. If you keep these things seperate, the overall quality of each part goes up (in theory anyway -- the developers are able to focus more on one function than a whole swack of others), and speed also increases as the programs become simpler.

This pretty much completes my quest for all the Linux apps I need. My system is now complete. I am happy.
    Good to hear, if only there were more like you

Re: Mozilla 0.9.9

0.9.9 has just been released 8) 8) 8)

youcan make the tabs restrictive. Open unrequersted in tabs, middle click to open tab, what more do you want?

/me runs to get 0.9.9... twill be a long night of compiling (;

youcan make the tabs restrictive. Open unrequersted in tabs, middle click to open tab, what more do you want?
    I want to be able to left click on any link and for it to pop up in a tab (unless it just stays in the same window). As it is now, I have to consciously decide "hmmm, do I want to left click for it to stay in this window? Or middle click to get it in a new tab? What if I left click and it opens in a new window?"

In other words, I want Mozilla to be 100% restricted to one window, only using tabs, exactly like Opera. But I don't want everybody restricted this way, so ultimately I want this to be an option that can be disabled or enabled by the user.

Also, there's a bug with the "use CTRL-ENTER to open address bar urls in a new tab" thing: normal enter makes it open a new tab and it's not possible to change the address in any given tab.

On the whole I'm not satisfied with Mozilla's tabbing. But other than that, Moz is just great

Well, I found an option that states to open link in a new tab if the link is supposed to spawn a new window. works for me... :-/

This is all I have under Navigator-->Tabbed Browsing (in the prefs):

Tab Display:
    * Hide the tab bar when only one tab is open
    * Load links in the background

Open tabs instead of windows for:
    * middle-click or control-click of links in a web page (enabled)
    * Windows opened by the web page (enabled)
    * Middle-click or control-click of bookmarks and personal toolbar items (enabled)
    * Control+enter in the URL bar

What I want is basically a check box that says "Everything that would normally open a new window, but nothing that would normally stay in the same window".

What were you using previously? Moz is my favorite browser too -- beats Konq, Opera, and IE put together
    Er, Netscape Communicator 4.77 for the most part. *Played with Opera some and used Konq when I ran KDE.

Bah, I can't stand integration. I subscribe to the unix philosophy: one tool for one job. In other words: Keep It Simple, Stupid. Mozilla surfs. Mutt read emails. BitchX for IRC. Slrn for news. If you keep these things seperate, the overall quality of each part goes up (in theory anyway -- the developers are able to focus more on one function than a whole swack of others), and speed also increases as the programs become simpler.
    Normally, I'd agree with you, but when it come to e-mail, it makes more sense for me to use the Mozilla Client if I am running Mozilla. *I have a total of six people in my address book and I recieve (including mailing lists) 4-6 e-mails a day. *I am on a dial-up conection and I have one pop3 mailbox. *I have to dial to get my mail and I always go on line to browse at the same time; in fact, I never just go on line to check mail, I do it as part of the whole browsing thing. *Under these conditions, the integrated client just makes more sense. *Plus it is very easy to configure and use.

Now, if things were to change, and I had lots of mail volume and was on line more or had multiple accounts, then I would go with Mutt, no doubt. *For now, there is no compelling reason to change.

*shrug* I have 3 imap accounts to my home server, and I get roughly 50~80 messages a day. I like moz's filtering capabilities, and it's just a nice client. Becuase it's imap, all my messages stay on the server, so I get the same view if I'm using moz at work, or at home.

Now, if things were to change, and I had lots of mail volume and was on line more or had multiple accounts, then I would go with Mutt, no doubt. *For now, there is no compelling reason to change.
    That makes sense, but I get upwards of 200 emails per day -- mutt + procmail are an absolute godsend