Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: KDE3 rocks

Good Guru

Re: KDE3 rocks

I have noticed you doing alot of compiling of KDE -- how much am I in for if I decide to compile it myself? Source tarball or .src.rpm -- I dont care personally, I just want to steal some speed and am thinking about compiling.

I have noticed you doing alot of compiling of KDE -- how much am I in for if I decide to compile it myself? *Source tarball or .src.rpm -- I dont care personally, I just want to steal some speed and am thinking about compiling.
    Use the tarballs. You can use the rpms if you would rather, but I heard that tarballs are better for source because they provide more flexibility.

Either way, compiling KDE and QT is a long process depending on how much you want to compile (I believe there are only four libraries that must be compiled to have a working KDE install and a dozen more add on libraries that can be compiled and installed later on). You can still use your computer (depending on how fast it is) while you compile in the background. That is what I did. I compiled most of KDE 3 while running KDE 3. Then I exited for a few minutes as I ran make install and restarted with all of the new features and programs I just compiled.

I even wrote a script to download and compile every library from the CVS tree, but the CVS tree kept blocking me from accessing their server for several minutes at a time, but it was enough to stop the script in itís tracks.

I have noticed you doing alot of compiling of KDE -- how much am I in for if I decide to compile it myself? Source tarball or .src.rpm -- I dont care personally, I just want to steal some speed and am thinking about compiling.
    If you want speed, compiling from source grants you the possibility to object prelink you're .o files, making kde stuff load 50-60% faster.
    And if you compile with optimizations this will be even better, plus the general speed will benifit from this too.

http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/kde.txt <-- This will explain it all

Good Guru

Thanks. I am d/l the source now. In a bit I should have something to compile. I figure I can get most of it done during my Easter dinner.

Is it possible to compile the source rpms with the object prelinking and speed optimizations? Source rpms would be easier then compiling from source then making my own rpms

Is it possible to compile the source rpms with the object prelinking and speed optimizations? Source rpms would be easier then compiling from source then making my own rpms
    I would ask KP, but I don't think so, since it basically just a build of known "good" code. I don't think you can "add" stuff to src.rpm's without breaking stuff. I would do the source walk if I was you.

oh well. I'm sure it will be worth it though.