Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: simple WindowMaker question

Hybrid View

simple WindowMaker question

hello
    i've switched from KDE to windowmaker (not because i don't like KDE anymore cuz i think it KICKS ASS but i wanted a change) and i have on simple questions:

is it possible to let windowmaker remember the position of applications on the screen and if so, how?

some apps always show up at the right position, some don't
    then when i move them to the right position, they just start on the wrong position again next time they're started. I looked at the attributes for the windows but nothing seems to be there about remember the position.
    i tried to save the attributes after putting the app in it's preferred position but that doesn't work either.

Re: simple WindowMaker question

welcome back to the good side .. anyway..

make sure you are using the latest cvs code .. i read on the mailing list somwhere that the save command / workspaces thing was broken.. it should work with the attributes of the window .. there is a setting with inital workspace .. there you can specify on what workspace the app should appear ..

hth,

no that's not what i ment
    i ment the actual X,Y position on the desktop

btw: i installed 0.80.0 and the initial workspace thing works fine

i see ...

hmm ... maybe you can set the application that it remembers itself .. i dont know how wm saves this ..

yea some can be set that way (like gkrellm for instance)
    but my 2 most used apps (mozilla and konsole) don't have a setting for this AFAIK

but KDE was able to remember the position of the apps on the screen, and it should be very easy for every other windowmanager to be able to do it

went back to KDE
    other than the faster startup Windowmaker doesn't offer me any improvements over KDE whatsoever

went back to KDE
    other than the faster startup Windowmaker doesn't offer me any improvements over KDE whatsoever
    Yeah, I went back to KDE about a week ago myself. I think that I am attracted to KDE's ease of use and nice integration of features and apps. Plus, I love the way it looks.

For small systems where resources are an issue, I still think IceWM is king. And I think WindowMaker is a thing of beauty, but I just can't get my head around the NeXT way of doing things. I like my taskbar- everyone here knows I like my taskbar.

I like my taskbar- everyone here knows I like my taskbar.
    i have the same problem
    i'm spoiled by the taskbar

Bah, I have no need for a task bar... my icon wall shows me all that I need to know... I just Love wmaker.. I'm so hooked....

link=board=xwindows&num=1009973967&start=0 #8 date=01/05/02 at 15:19:06]
    Bah, I have no need for a task bar... my icon wall shows me all that I need to know... I just Love wmaker.. I'm so hooked....
    Just depends on how you like to work. I just can't get my head around the muliple desktop thing. I like to use two virtual desktops, one for Konsole and such and one for running apps. The taskbar lets me switch around between running apps with ease, as I like to run stuff maximized. I also don't run a whole lot of stuff at once. I'll have an editor going, my web browser or dvi viewer, depending on what I am doing (HTML or LaTeX), my e-mail client, and then the terminal stuff on the other desk.

So, it is just a matter of preference.

But it sure is nice to have a choice, isn't it?