Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many of you actually use a trans. term?

Re: How many of you actually use a trans. term?

Rastar:

Try putting this into your ~/.Xdefaults file:

Code:
    *VT100.Translations: #override \
         <Key>BackSpace: string(0x7F)\n\
         <Key>Delete:  string("\033[3~")\n\
         <Key>Home:   string("\033[1~")\n\
         <Key>End:    string("\033[4~")
    *ttyModes: erase ^?
    I don't know if it works, but I've heard of other people having the same problem as you and the above had worked for them.

For further info, try looking at these:
    http://www.rxvt.org/
    http://powershell.sourceforge.net/

Transparent konsole and transparent Xchat. ;D

I use Aterm's transparency(blackbox wm) to wow some of my customers. I do independant Winders(TM) support for folks in my local area.
    When I fire up my laptop and they see just how cool it looks, a few, just a few, ask how they could get something like that on their machine. Which brings the customer and myself onto the topic of Linux
    We then get into a serious discussion on what Linux is, how things work, and the advantages/disadvantages it might be for them.

So, in essence, I use the transparency as a subtle, but powerful, Linux advocacy tool.

Transparent konsole and transparent Xchat. ;D
    konsole? you mean the one that comes with KDE? my god that thing is horrible. at least go xterm.....

I use transparent damm near everything. Well, konsole, xchat, and gkrellm are all running transparent. You do need to pick the proper background when you use the transparent stuff though...

http://www.afn.org/~afn57538/trans.jpg

Good Guru

I use them all the time with Trans but I only have one terminal open ( I use KP's ATerm in FVWM and Konsole in KDE ) but I find myself just doing ctrl+alt+F1 for the console stuff ... It's so much easier to focus on only one thing at a time .... ( while doing CDPlay in X of course )....

In screenshots I often see transparent terms. I find trans. terms, aterm in my case, to be cool looking but not very practical. I prefer white text on black background.

So, do any of you actually use trans. terms or is it only for posing?
    I agree. It's kind of cool to see them but they're not very practical (sometimes, kind of hard to work with).

I always use a transparent Aterm, but then again, I also make sure that my background of choice is of a dark base, with not too much going on, so I can easily read my terms. I design my layout *around* my terms, not the other way around.

Associate

I use Aterm's transparency(blackbox wm) to wow some of my customers. I do independant Winders(TM) support for folks in my local area.
    When I fire up my laptop and they see just how cool it looks, a few, just a few, ask how they could get something like that on their machine. Which brings the customer and myself onto the topic of Linux
    We then get into a serious discussion on what Linux is, how things work, and the advantages/disadvantages it might be for them.

So, in essence, I use the transparency as a subtle, but powerful, Linux advocacy tool.
    lol... u do it almost the same way i do... i use trans. gnome-terminal with fluxbox to impress some friendz... then they get interested in linux

normaly i just like a terminal with no bg image... my poor eyez like it more...