Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many of you actually use a trans. term?

How many of you actually use a trans. term?

In screenshots I often see transparent terms. I find trans. terms, aterm in my case, to be cool looking but not very practical. I prefer white text on black background.

So, do any of you actually use trans. terms or is it only for posing?

Re: How many of you actually use a trans. term?

I use a transparent term, eterm. I agree that they are not very practical on lighter colored backgrounds. Lucky for me I have a darkish background You gotta admit, they are high on the cool factor...

Yeah, I usually use a trans aterm. Even with a dark background I usually use the -shade option, which I'm pretty sure is available for both Eterm and aterm. I also tweak certain colors for better contrast.

heheh - well ya i use them, but the trusty xterm is my most used, i have used tail before which is nice to see messages in a way that does not strongly grab my attention, but lets me know there is activity.

I use transparent gnome-terminals and sometimes aterms.

I have tried them, but never really cared for them. I just use RXvt (which can be set transparent as well) with a plain, solid background.

I have tried them, but never really cared for them. I just use RXvt (which can be set transparent as well) with a plain, solid background.
    yea same here

i have dark green and then yellow foreground.
    transparent is fun but if the background has detail it can make it hard to read, in like vi with syntax highlighting.

if i only used terms a little, i would prolly do transparent, but i always have like 5-30 open so i need them to be legilable regardless of where they are.

and actually my desktop is black... just plain black. and covered with a full screen rxvt that doesnt gain focus and tails my logs, and doesnt have window borders.

I find trans. terms, aterm in my case, to be cool looking but not very practical. I prefer white text on black background.
    Exactly. I tried the transparent terms once or twice, but since my desktop image is completely random and varies from mostly black to mostly white, transparent terms are hell.

I use transparent terminal only when I have a background image that doesn't make the text unreadable. Usually I just prefer rxvt with green on a black bg.

Although I like rxvt, I've started playing with powershell. It seems pretty sweet.

Although I like rxvt, I've started playing with powershell. It seems pretty sweet.
    Hey NGene, how about throwing a link to RXVt and Powershell. For some reason when I went ximian the terminals do not allow for backspace but print the ^H code and of course the letters delete but you cannot tell how far until you hit enter. I use terminal for mainly my Mud so backspacing is necessary especially when building areas.

Ras