Thread: Samba and Windows XP

rbrugman

Samba and Windows XP

How come when I try to map a samba server as a network drive in Windows XP, I get the message "This account is not authorized to log in from this station", but I can connect to it fine using my Mac and OS X. Is there anything special I need to set up?

JimH

Re:Samba and Windows XP

Hmmm, never used Samba with WinXP clients. :'( I just installed RH 7.3 once I get it Samba set back up I will put a WinXp client on the network and try to reproduce the problem you are having.

Jim H

Swishy

Ive heard rumours around that Xp and Samba have some "Differences" and it is almost impossable to get running stable...including one senario where a few linuxs boxs were hooked up to a XP lan everytime a linux box was fired up it would crash one of the XP boxes(damn) I to would be interested on knowing how to get this working nice as a few people I game with run XP

rbrugman

wouldn't the world be better if everyone ran some varient of linux/unix/bsd. Then we'd all be *more* compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by rbrugman
    wouldn't the world be better if everyone ran some varient of linux/unix/bsd. Then we'd all be *more* compatible.
    i like your line of thought there
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

rbrugman

If Microsoft would get their act together, it could be done. Even apple, with their 5% of the market, went to a FreeBSD core in OS X. I have no problems doing anything with Linux/Unix/OS X, but when it comes to windows, everything needs to be fixed, or patched, or worse, I need to buy an upgrade. This samba problem is a classic example. STOP IT MICROSOFT!

and microsoft don't realise that they have made office for unix......
    anyone want to reverse engineer office: X???
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Spot

Quote Originally Posted by rbrugman
    How come when I try to map a samba server as a network drive in Windows XP, I get the message "This account is not authorized to log in from this station", but I can connect to it fine using my Mac and OS X. Is there anything special I need to set up?
    IIRC, all but the most recent versions of samba were incompatible with xp, so make sure you have the latest version for your distro before pulling your hair out any more than you have already. Check the samba site (http://samba.org/) for clues as well

JimH

Ok I finally managed to get around to setting Samba up again. I put a WinXP box on the network to see if it would work with Samba. I have not had any problems sharing partitions on my linux box. The only problem I have is with printing from the WinXP box to the the Samba shared printer on my Linux box. Everything appears to be correctly setup. The WinXP box can see the printer. When I try and print from the WinXp box, in the printer queue it shows it prints fine with no errors, but nothing is printed on then Linux box. Wierd.

I will have to play with it some more. I have Samba configured right now to use the client driver. I might try hooking my printer to the WinXp box and see if I can print locally. Maybe there is an issue with my printer under WinXP.

Jim H