Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Connecting to the Internet on Linux through Win XP home

Thread: Connecting to the Internet on Linux through Win XP home

Connecting to the Internet on Linux through Win XP home

Alright,

I have two boxes, one with Windows XP and wireless internet, and one with Red Hat 9 and no internet. I connected them with a crossover cable and enabled Internet Connection Sharing on my wireless connection. I set up my ethernet adapter on the Linux box.
    Now the problem:

When I ping the Linux box's automatically assigned IP (behind the Win XP box: 192.168.0.234) from the Win XP box, I get responses. When I ping the Win XP box's IP (assigned 193.168.1.100 behind my wireless router), I get no response. On the Local Area Connection Status dialog, however, I see incoming packets corresponding exactly to the pings. The Windows box simply does not respond.

Furthermore, I am not terribly familiar with DHCP and most other network related matters. I suspect the root of my problem lies here.

I need to connect my Linux box to the Internet. I assume (hope) that solving the Mystery of the Pings will lead to this, eventually.

Any information at all would help tremendously.

Thanks in advance,
    Josh

don't you have to confugure the XP firewall to allow that ip to play?

torp

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jbk303
    Furthermore, I am not terribly familiar with DHCP and most other network related matters.
    If it's only two machines, you shouldn't be bothering with DHCP at all. You should manually assign IP addresses and eliminate another point of failure.

I have two boxes, one with Windows XP and wireless internet, and one with Red Hat 9 and no internet. I connected them with a crossover cable and enabled Internet Connection Sharing on my wireless connection. I set up my ethernet adapter on the Linux box.
    So here is how your network is placed?

==>Your ISP==>your wireless AP==>XP's wireless Networkcard<==>XP's Ethernet card==>RH 9 box

Right?

When I ping the Linux box's automatically assigned IP (behind the Win XP box: 192.168.0.234) from the Win XP box, I get responses. When I ping the Win XP box's IP (assigned 193.168.1.100 behind my wireless router), I get no response.
    You will have to tell your Windows firewall to allow such actions such as ICMP pings. From Network setting area, there is another "setting" area of your firewall config area. You will need to change that if you want your XP box to answer ping packets.
    Last edited by Compunuts; 03-04-2006 at 12:47 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Good Guru
    And also just FYI for next time. If you are using XP as your router, then you should post your questions on "Windows" forum. That way you will get a lot more response from Windows gurus. Linux networking forum is primarily for making Linux as primary networking tool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!