Thread: Debian and KDE3

Debian and KDE3

Has anyone installed KDE3 on Debian? I know you have to uninstall all of KDE2 before you can install KDE3, but (and I may seem silly to think that it will) does that affect any user preferences? E.g. will my Kmail settings be preserved, as well as my icon sets? How about those settings I set for all users? I'm a little unsure as to what it all affects.

Re: Debian and KDE3

All your setting will stay the same. I rm'ed KDE2, installed KDE3, killed KDE3, installed RH 7.3 w/KDE3 , and after all that ALL my KDE stuff was still there! :P

Mentor

Put these two lines in your sources.list:

Then install kdebase and any other packages you want to upgrade.

Your personal settings should not be affected by the upgrade.

I was able to compile KDE3 from source on my Debian (sid) box and everyting is just fine. Just follow the instructions on the KDE site about compiling from source and all will be good, until the real Debian packages are available.

Put these two lines in your sources.list:

Thanks for that. I use Blackbox and I am a diehard fan of it but I want to check out kde3. I just have been too lazy to look for this info or to post and ask about it.

i just want my 8th post haha

I did as Cloverm suggested and used the two sources, Then i installed kdelibs 1st, then kdebase, and finally arts. after that you can install any other kde program you want.

I didn't uninstall any of my old kde2.2.2, and the apt-get install went very smoothly, the only problem was that as i have a 56k dial-up, i got a few server closed connections, after about 1 and a half hours, but i simply re apt-got, and it carried on from where it was closed.

Now how do i get my koffice back, kde3 uninstalled it, is there i version that will work with kde3?.
    Cheers
    LiNuts

I give KDE3 a thumbs down.. *It is nice BUT it uses 99% of my cpy ONLY idling.. *BB uses 1-2% of my cpu.

>KDE3 >
    8)Blackbox 8)
    BTW I got a k6-2 550 MHZ 125MB Ram

99% of CPU when idling is not right. Idling is supposed to be idle. Something's wrong.

And I believe all your settings, etc will be stored in your home directory so you can safely remove to your heart's content.

I checked top and it said that kdeinit was using 99% of cpu...