Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Setting up that network.

Thread: Setting up that network.

Setting up that network.

Yeah, I finally got around to doing it (starting it, anyway).

I have installed the NIC in my box (the one that I previously bitched and complained about, the AON-325), and I have loaded the "8139too" module. The documentation for this module claims it is in testing and shouldn't be used in a production environment, but I do not have the rtl8139 module that others suggested, so I pretty much have to use it. (oh yeah, and it says it is compatible with the chipset on my NIC)

So, I've loaded this module, and ifconfig -a gives the following output, as expected:

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr [hidden]
    BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Interrupt:10
    (I didn't include eth0 or lo because they are not relevant)

Anyway, I've browsed around linuxdoc.org a bit, and I can't really find quite what I'm looking for. What I want to do is configure eth1 so that it has a static ip address and all that, so I can possibly attempt to ping it from the other box on this network. Anybody know any good tutorials on how to do this?

Thanks

Re: Setting up that network.

/sbin/ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.1 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
    /sbin/route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth1

this is how i do it in my bootscripts

In your bootscripts, eh? You mean it can't remember that, it has to be done every time the computer boots? Ok.

yea u have to set it each time ur system starts up

i just put it like that in my bootscripts, but most distro's use config files to do the same thing. then at bootup some script will read the config files and will set the ip and other information listed in the config file... same thing basically

Ah, well I didn't feel like making a whole new (sysvinit style) boot script just for two lines, so I snuck them into my firewall script and it's working fine (I've rebooted and it still works).

Now all I have left to do is configure that windows box properly, get it to ping my box, set up NAT, and I'm done! It'll be done Monday evening at the latest

Good Guru

IIRC, you are using Debian.

For the network setting to be permanent, you need to modify the "interfaces" file in /etc/network.

The file is well commented and self explainatory. But if you need sample, let me know and I will mail it to ya.

Thanks, but as far as I can tell, all I had to do was add "8139too" on it's own line to /etc/modules, and then what Ralinx wrote into the "start" section of /etc/init.d/iptables (my firewall script), and as far as I can tell, it works (after booting, ifconfig tells me that eth1 is up and it reports the correct information. However, I won't truly know if it's working until I can get on the windows box and try to ping my linux box).

Good Guru

Thanks, but as far as I can tell, all I had to do was add "8139too" on it's own line to /etc/modules,
    This is for loading up the driver. It's got nothing to do with your network setting.

and then what Ralinx wrote into the "start" section of /etc/init.d/iptables (my firewall script), and as far as I can tell, it works
    Of course it will. But I thought you wanted to know the **proper** way of doing the network setting with configuration files. That was why I wrote that even though I know you have already get your setting. In Linux there is many ways to achieve the same thing...

Oh, you should have said that. I thought you were just going off on some kind of tangent that didn't really matter because it already works...

Anyway, it's all a moot point because the windows box got hosed (something is physically wrong with the box, because neither windows nor Debian will install on it).

Anyway, we got the computer back from the shop, and it's hooked up to the network -- and it works!! Yay!

I'm posting this message from the windows box, going through the NAT'd connection! This is sweet! I had no idea it would be this transparent

Thanks for your help everybody!