Thread: ./bin/login buffer overflow - not linux

Hybrid View

./bin/login buffer overflow - not linux

http://xforce.iss.net/static/7284.php

this overflow in login can be exploited remotly when telnet or rlogin is used ..
    it affects
    AIX 4.3
    AIX 5.1
    Solaris 8 and earlier

hmm .. i wonder if anybody is still opening telnet , rlogin to the open world .. this also proofes that the comercial unices arent more secure than linux ..

Re:  ./bin/login buffer overflow - not linux

Unfortunatly lots of companies still have telnetd running to the outside world. I don't even know why people want it to be running on the inside as sshd is a better replacement.

Re: *./bin/login buffer overflow - not linux

Unfortunatly lots of companies still have telnetd running to the outside world. I don't even know why people want it to be running on the inside as sshd is a better replacement.
    I run telnetd. Why? *Because at my school they block port 22, but not 23. *I tried to convince them to open port 22, but they didn't want to (Windows network, I guess it was too big a risk ) Also, telnetd-ssl uninstalled sshd so it's not a possibility.*So in order to connect to my box, I telnet into my gateway and then ssh into my workstation. *And no, I don't feel like changing the port.

Re:  ./bin/login buffer overflow - not linux

This is exactly the type of thing that GNU is great at fixing. Commercial unices do have their perks too though. I believe if you code on Solaris, there are builtin libraries that you can use to prevent buffer overflow exploits. I guess it just wasn't used in login

Re: *./bin/login buffer overflow - not linux

So in order to connect to my box, I telnet into my gateway and then ssh into my workstation. *And no, I don't feel like changing the port.
    ???????
    you run telnet to connect from school to your home gateway and then once on the gateway use ssh to hit your workstation?

am i understanding this correctly?