Thread: Script for detecting rootkit's

Script for detecting rootkit's

I just noticed something of interest at freshmeat.net that may be of benefit to those running production servers.

About: chkrootkit is a tool to locally check for signs of a rootkit. It contains a chkrootkit: shell script that checks system binaries for rootkit modification. The following tests are made: aliens, asp, bindshell, lkm, rexedcs, sniffer, wted, z2, amd, basename, biff, chfn, chsh, cron, date, du, dirname, echo, egrep, env, find, fingerd, gpm, grep, hdparm, su, ifconfig, inetd, inetdconf, identd, killall, login, ls, mail, mingetty, netstat, named, passwd, pidof, pop2, pop3, ps, pstree, rpcinfo, rlogind, rshd, slogin, sendmail, sshd, syslogd, tar, tcpd, top, telnetd, timed, traceroute, and write. ifpromisc.c checks whether the interface is in promiscuous mode, chklastlog.c checks for lastlog deletions, chkwtmp.c checks for wtmp deletions, check_wtmpx.c checks for wtmpx deletions (Solaris only), and chkproc.c checks for signs of LKM trojans.

www.chkrootkit.org

Re: Script for detecting rootkit's

hi mike,
    thanks man! i don't do any production stuff but would like to know where i am vunerable and do run a couple things because i wnat 'em running.
    Paul

How are you doing Paul?

I thought chkrootkit might come in handy for some. Great stuff at freshmeat.

Could you please do me a favor and post about chkrootkit at lno. There happens to be a thread in General about someone that got rooted recently. As you know they still haven't fixed my account(s) at lno, so I am unable to post it myself. Thanks.

Take care...

For you mike - no problem

here it is:
    http://www.linuxnewbie.org/cgi-bin/u...3&t=005799

ah life is good, i got a job, the family is healthy and i get to play with linux - who could want more

Paul: how about a beer?

Paul: how about a beer?
    What kind?

For you mike - no problem

here it is:
    http://www.linuxnewbie.org/cgi-bin/u...3&t=005799

ah life is good, i got a job, the family is healthy and i get to play with linux - who could want more
    Thanks Paul.

Glad to hear life is treating you well. Family - job - Linux ... What more could you ask for?

Gotta rush now. I slept in this morning and now I'll be a little late for work. Don't even remember the alarm going off.

mdwatts[how_many] are you now ?

Thanks for the link. Hope it isn't a troian ?

As you know they still haven't fixed my account(s) at lno, so I am unable to post it myself.

mdwatts[how_many] are you now ?

Thanks for the link. Hope it isn't a troian ?

If I remember correctly, I HAD around 4 or 5 accounts at LNO that went belly up. Something like 9,000 posts total. Maybe 20 of those in Shoot the breeze and Rants. I spent most of my time trying to help others (at least with my limited knowledge).

Your welcome for the link. I doubt it's a trojan since it came from freshmeat. I hope it helps whoever uses it as I hate to see anyone have their systems corrupted/cracked.