Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Monitoring Network Packets

Thread: Monitoring Network Packets

Monitoring Network Packets

Is there any good programs that display packets my network card is reading? I want to know what is coming in and going out of there. Any good ways to do this?

Re: Monitoring Network Packets

tcpdump

definately tcpdump

Advisor

I would say, go with ethereal.

I like ethereal...it is a nice front end for tcpdump...very nice. However, if you just want a quick look at ip headers then you should try snort...running it like this...

your_shell_prompt>./snort -v

The -v option will only print out the headers. However, you can also run snort as a NIDS(Network Intrusion Detection System) and log the traffic in binary which you can then examine with ethereal. Also, if you want to see current connections you should try this command...

your_shell_prompt>netstat -c -na --ip --programs

Associate

Im looking more for a program that refreshes itself so rather then typing in the command everytime I want to look at it I can put the window off to the side and watch it change. I more interested in the network connections but also a real time display of every packet or headers that is on the wire would be nice. Im not paranoid just curious about what I cannot see.

Advisor

Associate

Yeah that looks like what I want. Thank you

Brett