Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: A little security help please

Re: A little security help please

Yes it was.
    He said he was clueless. I told him to get a clue. I don't follow your logic.

yeah that's a shame LFS doesn't have PAM installed... Too bad, cause the security stuff you can get is quite good.
    Yeah. It's a shame you can't install anything in LFS after you've finished the main book. I mean, I'd sure love to have X installed but nope, not possible. All I have is, well, w3m and the good ol' console.

Yeah. It's a shame you can't install anything in LFS after you've finished the main book. I mean, I'd sure love to have X installed but nope, not possible. All I have is, well, w3m and the good ol' console.
    It's free, how good could it be?

He said he was clueless. I told him to get a clue. I don't follow your logic.
    You have some serious mental problems if you donīt realise that you have been very rude in this thread. If you act like this in real life when you have grown up (that shouldnīt take more than 5 to 10 years) someone will eventually teach you how to behave.

:-/ oops, I think I might have really made Feztaa mad....sorry man

I mean I thought the whole point of linuxjunior was to ask for help, if it really annoys you that much to answer my questions, just dont answer them. Jeez :

Ursidae, thanks for the chmod tip, pretty simple actually just never really understood how the numbers came about before. Im still a little confused as to what those open ports are there for. Its the 59, 445, and 1025-1026 that I cant figure out. I looked them up on lists of well known ports and came up with this:
    59/tcp any private file service ???
    epmap 135/tcp DCE endpoint resolution ???
    microsoft-ds 445/tcp Microsoft-DS ???
    blackjack 1025/tcp network blackjack ???
    1026-1029 Unassigned ?
    so as you can see not much in the ways of info there. Maybe someone else has seen these ports before?

Hi. I'm not going to comment on this person's or that person's comments...just want to try to help. Try this command to see what programs are listening on which ports...or what ports...or whatever.

your_shell>netstat -c -na --ip --programs

Also, you could try scanning yourself with nmap if you haven't already, sometimes that will tell you what's using your ports. Anyway, you said you were a cisco kind of guy didn't you? Do you own any Cisco routers or switches? I'm thinking of buying a 2500 series router and a 1900 Catalyst switch just to screw around with...but those are expensive toys...but you know, boys and toys...well, i'm rambling now...

cubensis: Those are exactly the 2 main router/switches I use in class all the time. We have like 4 2500s and 1 2600 hooked thru a 1900 and a 2900 switch. The 2500s would be sweet to have at home, but yea they cost quite a bit! Maybe look into a lower end model or search ebay, they have some good deals there sometimes. And yea I ran nmap and thats how I came accross all the open ports. I have been checking with netstat, but none of those akward ports show up as being used at all. Still trying to research what the hell they could be. Thanks man!

Check your /etc/inetd.conf file.

Good Guru

59/tcp * *any private file service *???
    Are you running any file sharing service??
    epmap * * * * * 135/tcp * *DCE endpoint resolution *???
    It must have been that your box is directly connected to DSL or Cable box?? If not, then some daemon in your box is set up that way.
    microsoft-ds * *445/tcp * *Microsoft-DS ???
    Microsoft Domain Services. If it's Linux box, Samba *may be*.
    blackjack 1025/tcp * network blackjack ???
    It's a game service. Do you have that game installed??
    1026-1029 *Unassigned ?
    Up until port 1024 is registered thus kept track of it. Anybody who is running any software can assign ports to anything to those ports. But Mostly is used for dynamic assigning and it's really hard to say. If yours is NAT box, then it may be other clients are connecting to it.