Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Application startup at boot time

Thread: Application startup at boot time

Good Guru

Application startup at boot time

I wish to start as a normal user a few apps at start time. Normally I would say "Hey -- Cron does that !!" but not for this -- I think....

I got a few apps I would like to start and display its output at a tty screen (like tty11 and 12) and would like to know if there is an app that would do that, or even better an app that is probably preinstalled to do this. I really hate having to do this any time I reboot, or if my asshole roomate hits my reset button for what ever reason (Hey your cdrom stopped working in linux, it wouldnt eject... Dumbass its mounted, thats why.)

So, any hints?

Re: Application startup at boot time

Go to hints.linuxfromscratch.org and read the inittab hint. It will tell you how to have programs running continuuously on a given TTY.

The best part is, if you ^C to quit the program, it starts again

Good Guru

Thanks dude! I'll give it a whirl.

Good Guru

It works, but not the TTY part/ Always tries to put it at tty1. I must be doing something wrong.

Anyway thanks again

what does your inittab look like?

Good Guru

Well I hat the tty11 and tty12 at the end like the terminal screens (tty1-6). But the problem I have is that they like starting at tty1 together, for example --

linux boot goes to X, I switch to 11 and 12 nada, goto 1 and the app is running. I look at 2, nada. Goto 1 and kill it, app2 launches. Weird.

Well, how should an app located at ~schotty/dir/app look? I understand to a degree what it should be liek (based of the man page) but no luck for these.

Well I hat the tty11 and tty12 at the end like the terminal screens (tty1-6). But the problem I have is that they like starting at tty1 together, for example --

linux boot goes to X, I switch to 11 and 12 nada, goto 1 and the app is running. I look at 2, nada. Goto 1 and kill it, app2 launches. Weird.
    That is weird. Why don't you post your /etc/inittab so I can see if you perhaps wrote something wrong into it?

Well, how should an app located at ~schotty/dir/app look? I understand to a degree what it should be liek (based of the man page) but no luck for these.
    I have this line in my inittab:

Code:
    log:2345:respawn:/bin/badlogin >/dev/tty12
    Which runs my /bin/badlogin script on tty12.

Good Guru

Hmm, I didnt use the flow director. Let me try that and see if it helps.

Thanks again. Last few posts werent at home, rather at work. SO I couldnt post the inittab If I still cant get it, Ill post now that I am at home now.

Good Guru

well, the flow director did it as well as my missing of the fact that it is a /dev/ttyX to get it to the screen

Thanks!

No problem...