Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux or BSD? - File server/firewall

Hybrid View

Linux or BSD? - File server/firewall

I'm looking at setting up a custom built system as my dial-up/samba/file server, bla, bla, bla. I'm trying to decide on a distro and Mandrake 8.2 seems to be the best way to go ATM. However, I'm considering OpenBSD. The modem I would like to use is a Lucent 56kb. (Could I use that under OpenBSD with the linux driver set?)

I'm looking at making my own web based interface for it. Now could I restrict access to only one ip for the web interface? Would that help to secure my box (Okay, dumb question but could there be an easy way around it for a hacker?)

I looked at Mandy because it should be fairly easy to upgrade if I use rpm's via the web interface. What advantages or disadvantages would I have with OpenBSD?

Security probably isn't too much of a problem because I'm on dial-up but I want to learn some new skills.

Cheers

Re: Linux or BSD? - File server/firewall

Advantages:
    - Better security
    - Integrated cryptography
    - Cleaner
    - Smaller
    - pf packet filter
    - Good manual pages
    - Better TCP/IP stack than Linux
    - IPSec + IPv6 support itegrated if you need it
    - Apache pre-installed in a chroot and with mod_ssl

Disadvantages:
    - Less application (though all you need for your purpose is available)
    - A bit harder to use and configure
    - Less hardware support (though I don't think you'll have any problem)

Note that the main disadvantages to OpenBSD will make you learn more so it's kind of both good and bad.

Also, if you are port scanned, people are less likely to try to hack you if they see that you're running OpenBSD. FreeBSD and NetBSD are also pretty much left alone. Linux is tried much more.

You could also look at FreeBSD, which is also a VERY nice OS, and would fit your purpose very well too (Although I'm sure Ashcrow won't agree )

Thanks for your help! I'll give OpenBSD a go a see how I get on.

I've just switched one of the firewalls from OpenBSD to Debian GNU/Linux (I wouldn't have touched it, but its hdd failed so I had to do a completely new install). Several moths ago I chose OpenBSD because IPFilter was a much better firewall than IPChains. Unfortunately in OpenBSD 3.0 IPFilter was replaced with PF, which is IMHO not mature enough to be used in a production enviroment. I really want one single place to look for security updates. "security-announce@openbsd.org" used to be great, but now there is no information about IPF and I won't use PF yet. Meanwhile Woody based on kernel 2.4 is almost marked "stable", "debian-security-announce" responds very quickly to new vulnerabilities, iptables are not any worse than IPFilter, and apt is so much more convenient than cvs+compiling (especially on older hardware).

I still like OpenBSD very much, but I like Debian more.
    What was I saying ? Yeah, use OpenBSD ;D

andrezj: Yeah, but you gotta admit that pf is growing REALLY fast. *I mean, it's been 6 month and it has most features one would require from a packet filter and has some nice things (lists being one). *But yeah, binary packages are WAY better to upgrade than source. *Especially the base system which requires a reboot in the BSD world (kernel recompile)

Edit: I see K.I.S.S. in your sig, so I'm not surprised that you like OpenBSD They do an excellent job at keeping the system simple and clean.

andrezj: Yeah, but you gotta admit that pf is growing REALLY fast. I mean, it's been 6 month and it has most features one would require from a packet filter and has some nice things (lists being one).
    I admit. I'm even thinking of trying it at home - just for the fun. Maybe in a year OpenBSD will come back as my favourite firewall OS.

Edit: I see K.I.S.S. in your sig, so I'm not surprised that you like OpenBSD They do an excellent job at keeping the system simple and clean.
    ;D

Well, I'm going to put OpenBSD on my firewall when I finish my internship (or maybe during Easter break). And a friend of mine uses pf in a production environnement and is very satisfied.