Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Linux or BSD? - File server/firewall - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux or BSD? - File server/firewall

Re: Linux or BSD? - File server/firewall

I run FreeBSD for my gateway box. Very nice OS. I use IPFW for the firewall and routing and find it a lot easier to understand than IPCHAINS or IPTABLES.

The BSDs are trickier to install because you have to "slice" up your hard drive first. After you read the handbook, it will be a bit clearer.

I run FreeBSD for my gateway box. *Very nice OS. *I use IPFW for the firewall and routing and find it a lot easier to understand than IPCHAINS or IPTABLES.

The BSDs are trickier to install because you have to "slice" up your hard drive first. *After you read the handbook, it will be a bit clearer.
    Yeah FreeBSD is nice too, I use it when I install FreeBSD at a friend's (I put /usr and /var with softupdates, so I'm about sure that they never have problems). I also like to use it on servers since it's a bit more stable than OpenBSD and handles big loads better.

I haven't used NetBSD or OpenBSD, but when the Linux kernel stopped liking my hardware and eventually ruined the / partition, I switched to FreeBSD and have been astounded. It's very stable, secure, and powerful. It also has an impressive number of applications in the ports collection and lots of hardware support. I have OpenBSD and want to try it but the cd isn't bootable, I don't have a floppy drive on my old computer, and I don't want to boot out of FreeBSD on my new one to install Open. Life is so hard.

I haven't used NetBSD or OpenBSD, but when the Linux kernel stopped liking my hardware and eventually ruined the / partition, I switched to FreeBSD and have been astounded. It's very stable, secure, and powerful. It also has an impressive number of applications in the ports collection and lots of hardware support. I have OpenBSD and want to try it but the cd isn't bootable, I don't have a floppy drive on my old computer, and I don't want to boot out of FreeBSD on my new one to install Open. Life is so hard.
    Ah, come on. Just switch that stupid floppy drive for 10 minutes.

Good Guru

Ah, come on. *Just switch that stupid floppy drive for 10 minutes.
    Yeah, that's what I was gonna say too ...

You could also look at FreeBSD, which is also a VERY nice OS, and would fit your purpose very well too (Although I'm sure Ashcrow won't agree )
    You know me well!

You know me well! *
    But not as nice as OpenBSD of course. Dude, my firewall so rocks. I'll forward you a email Kint forwarded me.

Ah, come on. Just switch that stupid floppy drive for 10 minutes.
    I don't like taking this computer apart. I don't know why. But hardware wise, it's been working well and I never disassemble it unless to upgrade it. Plus my other computer case has a ground fault or something. I have to lay the motherboard beside the case instead of in it for it to work. And last time I put a floppy drive on that computer, my friend laid the drive on the metal part of the case and fried the drive. I like FreeBSD too much to take a chance of messing up my hardware just to try another operating system.

Good Guru

Plus my other computer case has a ground fault or something.
    Connect a ground wire ( the black one ) from your power supply to the metal case with a wire or something .... It's very easy to do ....

Connect a ground wire ( the black one ) from your power supply to the metal case with a wire or something .... It's very easy to do ....
    I doubt that will work. The case and power supply are already touching. I haven't really whipped out the multimeter to make sure it's a ground fault. I just know the motherboard won't turn on when in the case, but does when it's laying out seperately.