Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Kazaa

Thread: Kazaa

Kazaa

Brilliant Digital bundled an officially allowed, small trojan program with KaZaA which periodically connects back to their servers and downloads an update (eventually the Altnet P2P software). This trojan is now incredibly widespread: during the week of March 25th, KaZaA and the bundled trojan were downloaded 2.6 million times from CNet lone!

--(http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~nweaver/0wn2.html)
    Anyone know what port the update/trojan is on? I would like to take a look at it and see exactly what it is doing.

Re: Kazaa

You can probably use nmap to find that out. Or maybe ngrep.

You can probably use nmap to find that out. Or maybe ngrep.
    True, but first I have to find someone using the Windows version of Kazaa :-P.

Don't you have siblings? Or room mates? Don't you go to school? KaZaA is everywhere!

Don't you have siblings? Or room mates? Don't you go to school? KaZaA is everywhere!
    I have a little sister who could care less about computers. When I am at school Kazaa is filtered out via firewalls, the states port scans, and university port scans. It would be tough to still use it but most people just give up.

DO you have a spare box?

DO you have a spare box?
    Not really. I have my main box (OpenBSD/Slackware), my firewall (OpenBSD) and the box I am building for my parents. I'll figure something out :-P.

vmware ? or ask the d00ds who do the firewall at school, ask 'em what ports you need to block.

It says it connects to the Kazaa servers. It wouldn't have to open a port to do that. I'm failing to see how it's a trojan.

It says it connects to the Kazaa servers. It wouldn't have to open a port to do that. I'm failing to see how it's a trojan.
    It's reported as a trojan because it tracks and sends data without your permission ... but yeah, I forgot it connects to the Kazaa server and not the other way arround. There was a problem in kazaa allowing people to browse directly to a port and download whatever the kazaa user had without wait or being on the network. It was fun while it lasted ;D