Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Default Usernames And Groups

Thread: Default Usernames And Groups

Default Usernames And Groups

I just finished installing slackware 8.0 and have a few questions.
    *1) I removed most users except for the following:
    * * * * *root * * *(I know not to remove this username)
    * * * * *bin
    * * * * *daemon
    * * * * *adm
    * * * * *lp
    * * * * *mail
    * * * * *nobody
    * * 1a) Which other user(s) should be removed?

*2) I removed the following groups except for the following:
    * * * * *root * (I know not to remove this group)
    * * * * *bin
    * * * * *daemon
    * * * * *sys
    * * * * *adm
    * * * * *tty
    * * * * *disk
    * * * * *lp
    * * * * *mem
    * * * * *kmem
    * * * * *wheel
    * * * * *floppy
    * * * * *mail
    * * * * *uucp * *(look at bottom where it says uucp)
    * * * * *man
    * * * * *games
    * * * * *nobody
    * * * * *nogroup
    * * * * *users
    * * * * *console
    * * 2a) Which other group(s) should i remove?

#uucp I typed this at the prompt from / :
    ls -lRa | grep uucp | more

# and came up with a bunch of files under the /dev directory having uucp as there group. *So my question is:
    * * * *-If I remove the uucp group. What group should I assign * * * * * * * *
    * * * * *these files under the /dev dir?
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * or
    * * * *-Any other file(s) that may have another group and I
    * * * * *decide to remove?

Links to other sites, tutorials, etc. that can teach me what usernames and groups should be deleted or not, is great.

Futhermore, if your willing to explain just a bit, I thank you.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Almost forgot.

Just want to say Hi to everyone here and also I'm looking forward to learning alot about linux. *

Re: Default Usernames And Groups

Hmm...I'm not an expert with Linux, but what the fsck are you doing?! Leave that stuff alone. Root is the MAIN account for the system. You NEED it for your box man. Geeze... :-/

someone else come and explain more than I can / did...

BTW, why dont you just leave that stuff alone. where did you get the idea to remove all this stuff anyway? Sorry for sounding rude, I just don't want you to screw up your box.

Heh, weird questions. I too want to know why you want to do this.

Hmm...I'm not an expert with Linux, but what the fsck are you doing?! Leave that stuff alone. Root is the MAIN account for the system. You NEED it for your box man. Geeze... :-/

someone else come and explain more than I can / did...

BTW, why dont you just leave that stuff alone. where did you get the idea to remove all this stuff anyway? Sorry for sounding rude, I just don't want you to screw up your box.
    Well first of all, I know not to remove the root account. *I even wrote it at the top, it says
    * * *root *( I know not to remove this username)

I also forgot to mention that I know not to do everything with root and that I do have a normal user account created.

Furthermore, to answer both of you guys/gals questions, the reason I am doing this is to remove default user accounts that I dont need from my system. *I am trying to secure my system. *The fewer the user accounts the less you have to worry about someone cracking into your box and using them as a starting point to getting root on your box. *

Sorry for sounding rude, *I just don't want you to screw up your box
    It's cool dont worry about it.

I hope this answers your guys/gals questions.

Advisor

There are some point in the default users/groups a system provides.. some are used for specific program, such as xfs,named,httpd,lpd,MTA,etc.. If they dont exist the system will complain and bitch _a lot_ about the rights and such when ever a program intended to run as such a user is started..
    ( Did you notice, these groups/users have no real login/action rights on your system ?? )

Unless you're pretty sure what you want to run, and what those need of groups/users I wouldn't go tampering with the default created ones..

Oops, my fault. I thought it read I dont know how to remove this group. Hey it was late and I was tired. :