Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

new lan card not working

Thread: new lan card not working

Hybrid View

new lan card not working

Hi,
    I've just replaced a 3c509 10mb LAN card with a Realtek 100mb.
    I've got the card set up so it is pinging, I can telnet in from a windows box on the network, samba is working, but it isn't appearing on the network neighbourhood (the rest of the company use win machines) and apache can't serve up my web pages.
    Can anyone tell me how to go about changing the properties of the network card? It may be it isn't using TCP/IP or something.
    I'm using debian.
    Thanks, Jenny.

Re: new lan card not working

What does ifconfig -a give you?

If you can ping I would think that TCP/IP is up and running, if you cant see the machine from the network then it looks like a samba problem. You say that apache won't serve pages are you using //machine-network-name? If so, if you can't see it from the network, your request won't reach it. Try //IP-address see if that works, is so samba would apear to be your culprit

eth0 and lo info.
    eth0 shows (roughly)
    link encap:ethernet, HW address blah blah
    inet address, bcast, mask
    UP broadcast running multicast,
    packet info
    IRQ 10, io 0xdc00

It must be working or I wouldn't be able to ping and view files over my samba share.
    :-/
    Thanks.

So you can't see the box, but you can browse shares? I asume that's from the linux box.

The box (called TRX850) isn't appearing in Network Neighbourhood on the windows machines, and my intranet website won't display. (It will show up on lynx on itself, though).
    I had a shortcut to my samba share, though, on my windows desktop, and that is happily still there and usable.

Have you changed anything else, besides the card?

It looks to me like you card is up and running (I'm sure someone will tell us, if it's other wise). I would restore an old smb.conf, just incase that's b0rked some how, but me and samba are not exactly the best of pals.

Good luck.