Thread: ftp server

ftp server

apache html dir /var/www/html I have to setup either proftdp or wuftpd as an ftp server with full access to /var/www. Now do I create a new user and make there home directory /var/www and then go into the proftpd editor in webmin and set it up. What do I do? I've tried and failed so many times. If I create a user like this how can I make it so I can login upload delete and whatever to files but then how do I chown the files as apache after.

Re: ftp server

Try making their home /var/www and making them the owner of all the files. Then give everyone read access since they can read it anyway and Apache only needs to read them. Or you could do it how I did my server. There's an option in Apache to set a certain directory in everyone's home directory to be their web home. For instance, on my server, I set that directory to be web. So when you go to http://206.254.198.93/~kenshi/index.html, you're seeing what's at /home/kenshi/web/index.html. I doubt you want to do it like that, but if you do, let me know and I'll find out what the option for that is.

I think apache has its home dir as /var/www. Will having users with the same home dir conflict in anyway?

Mentor

Agar go with pro-ftp, there seems to be security problems with wu-ftp.

cloverm posted this link in a security thread earlier today.

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/ne...kpt=zdnnp1tp02

or try pure ftpd very stable and secure and easy to set up
    http://www.pureftpd.org

I think apache has its home dir as /var/www. Will having users with the same home dir conflict in anyway?
    No, I don't believe so.

Advisor

I have no problem with that, I have a server with several users having /var/www as $HOME, and apache hasn't complained yet, just make sure the files will be readable by all, then it dosn't matter which user created them..