Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

print server

Thread: print server

print server

My lan has 5 computers including the print server. Now 4 of the computers have 100 mbit NICs and the print server has a 10mbit. Actually its not all setup yet but it will be soon. So will there be any real advantage to putting one of the 100mbit NICs in the print server. The print server has a shitty epson stylus colour printer and an epson dot matrix.

Advisor

Re: print server

Since it's just a print server, then theres no point in putting a 100mbit NIC in it.

The printer won't be fast enough, to handle the data send to it at a higher rate, just because the NIC is faster, think of it this way..
    The Xmbit NIC will still be limited to the 115000bit rate the serial port is operating at..

I was thinking more along the lines of 10mbit not being as fast as the printer, but then I relised 10 mbit is still pretty fast. I believe 1.25 megabytes a sec right?

Advisor

Yup, 1 byte == 8 bit.