Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

changing hostname

Thread: changing hostname

changing hostname

Just installed redhat 7.2 on a 133 thats acting as my webserver anyways in the install it asks for hostname and I just put in the hostname instead of the whole localhost.localdomain. Anyways would I just go into /etc/hosts and change it from tzu too tzu.agar? tzu being the computers hostname and agar being my lans internal domain name.

Re: changing hostname

Not and answer to your question but how do I get my Windows boxes to go to my Linux box's web server when I type drake.intranet.lan? All my Windows boxes are Win98SE. I heard I must create a lmhosts file and put it in C:\Windows. If so, can someone just post and lmhosts file so I can edit the correct areas with what i need? I'm too lazy and don't want to try and create one. I tried before, it didn't work.

I think you'd need a dns server the has the locations of all the computers and then you setup 98 with the location of your dns server. This is just what I think you would have to do but then again I've never setup a dns server

About the lmhosts file I have no idea

I'm PM you the lmhosts file, so not to spam the board with M$ stuff, it's a big file but all you need is
    Code:
    some.ip.address.here machine-name #PRE #DOM:domain-name
    DNS server is the way to go tho'.

Actually, a lmhosts file won't help you. Lmhosts is for WINS names, or windows internal name system. What you want is a hosts file, much like a linux one. This will help you to resolve the names of your linux boxen.

To awnser the original question, use the hostname command to set your hostname/domain. There are switches and options for that command that will help you.

Good Guru

how do I get my Windows boxes to go to my Linux box's web server when I type drake.intranet.lan? All my Windows boxes are Win98SE. I heard I must create a lmhosts file and put it in C:\Windows.
    It's not true. Like KP had said, what you need to modify is hosts file. Do a search in Windows for hosts file and modify it ( you may have to undo the read-only attribute first ). Since Microsoft use TCP/IP stacks from *nix systems, it use the same format as in Linux.

111.111.111.111 yourhost.yourdomain.com yourhost

What I usually do with my small home LAN is that I create one host files on my network and duplicate it as necessary.

HTH ....

In RH 7.2, you can also set the hostname by editing your /etc/networks/sysconfig file. Just add or edit HOSTNAME=(whatever you want). After that, as mentioned, put that hostname and its IP address in the host file on your windows boxen.