Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corel Linux Networking

Hybrid View

Corel Linux Networking

Hello! I'm Bobby Collins, 13 years old. I just bought Corel Linux Second Edition (kernal 2.2.16). Anywho, I have a Netgear FA311 NIC installed on my Linux computer. The rest of my network is Windows based computers. I have one Win2k Machine on my network that has ICS installed with Sygate Home Network (since Sygate Personal Firewall blocks all/some ICS traffic, the Home Network software allows ICS to run). How do I configure my Linux machine to be a client of ICS and how do I get Linux so i can view shared files and share files to my other Windows machines?

I'm pretty used to Windows and Macintrash and BeOS. However, Linux is one of those things that confuses me. Any help would be appreciated!

Bobby

Re: Corel Linux Networking

welcome to linux junior 8)

its probably using dhcp so run netconfig (i'm guessing here, some mandraker help me out) and set it for dhcp, that should get all the needed info and it will work.

good luck!

Thanks
    Run netconfig? Like in the console? I tried typing that in and it gave me an invalid command. Or do you mean in the Control Panel? I tried setting my Linux comp to connect to a DHCP server, but that doesnt seem to work. Nor does my static ip settings.

I booted up the win98 partition on my win2k computer, and everything works. I can view the network, brows the internet, etc. However, my dad hates the Win98 partition I put on there and he always uses Win2k for his work. (He wont allow one of my comps to be the DHCP server or the DNS server cause his computers are "faster&quot So I think Win2k is the problem. How do I fix it? Any suggestions?

Bobby

hello,
    i am unable to find any manual for corel linux so i am not sure about any GUI tool, but it sounds like you have that problem fixed when the server computer is running win98 but not win2k - right?

Yeah.....

It seems as if Win2k is giving me the problems. However, I can only boot into Win98 so often cause my dad normally uses the Win2k Partition - and he's on his computer most of the time.

Bobby

Good Guru

I just bought Corel Linux Second Edition (kernal 2.2.16).
    Is that JUST is a few years ago?? I mean we are at Linux 2.4 and you bought a year old Linux 2.2?? .. Anyway, you probably already knows that Kernel 2.2.16 has the bug that will get you hacked. Upgrade at least to 2.2.17. And also since Corel is Debian based, most Debian methods will also apply to Corel stuff. ( or at least it should be ).

I have one Win2k Machine on my network that has ICS installed with Sygate Home Network. How do I configure my Linux machine to be a client of ICS
    I used to have my Win2K machine as gateway/Router and used built in ICS for my home network with two NICs in that Win2K machine. How's your setup?? All I did was assign all clients with static IP ( it doesn't matter you have DHCP running or not. Since you have pretty small home network, chances are that it will skip to other numbers if you choose it at higher IP range ).
    Here is my set up.
    DSL modem ( xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ) --> router machine NIC1 ( xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ) -->router machine NIC2 ( 192.168.0.1 ) --> { Win95 client ( 192.168.0.200 ) & Linux client ( 192.168.0.201 ) } .

Just configure your Linux machine to use IP addy, same netmask and the NIC2 of your router machine as the gateway IP.

how do I get Linux so i can view shared files and share files to my other Windows machines?
    You need to run SAMBA. Get SAMBA at least 2.2 so that you can deal with Win2K's new encrypted authentication. Check the PET ( plain English Tutorials ) section of this site for more info. Install Lineighborhood if you need GUI based LAN browser.

However, Linux is one of those things that confuses me.
    Everybody is at first so don't worry too much about it. I didn't know a thing when I was born and I'm pretty much know how to eat by now. ;D

??? Where do I get Samba? I already have some version running, but I have no clue what version it is. Where do i download the 2.4 kernal and how do i install it?

Well, the 1 Win2k machine has 1 NIC connected to a Netgear hub. Since i have 8 computers , i have an 8 port hub in my room. Some computers have a IP address assigned my the DCHP server, and some have a static IP address. All my Windows computers connect to the internet via the ICS on the win2k machine. And i'm trying to make my linux computer connect to the net via ICS and get it to brows my network.

Thanks

Bobby

my recomendation would be to just download Mandrake 8.1(that's assuming you have a burner and broadband connection). Corel has stopped developing their linux distro, and I've heard bad things about corel linux anyway.

but that's just my opinion...

I only have a 56k modem that usually connects at 49KBPS. They don't offer DSL and cable in our area.

Bobby

hello-
    you can find people who will mail you out a new distro. *
    hell - i might even mail you out a new distor if you like - only redhat or debian though...

here is another person giving out distos:
    http://www.techimo.com/forum/t6033.html