Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Need help setting up mail

Thread: Need help setting up mail

Need help setting up mail

Whazzzup fellers....long time no see :P

Alrighty....been busy with school and windows for the entire semester but now its back to Linux. I am working on my server and want to set up a simple mail program to mail my log files to my email account. It doesnt need to receive mail from anywhere just simply use logcheck and mail the results to some email account outside the network.

Now the question is....what mail progam would be best suited for this? I currently have Exim installed (but not configured) as it was installed by default in my fresh Debian install 8) I just cant seem to figure out how the hell to get it to do what i want.

any help or pointers to online tutorials would be wonderful.

Re: Need help setting up mail

If all you want it to do is send out mail generated from there, sendmail is what you need. Just a very simple configuration, send it. thats it (;

www.linuxdoc.org has tons of how-to's on setting up email, but since you are just sending, the default install of sendmail should be enough.

Cool....I will look into it. I was having a hard time finding a mail program that I could set up to just send the mail as I dont want (need) all the bells and whistles.

No no no, use postfix. It's more secure and is easier to configure (sendmail's configuration file looks like somebody was banging their head on the keyboard).

http://www.postfix.org

OK....i can try that too. My problem is that I dont have any experience with mail so I am completely clueless when it comes to trying to set it up. My main concern is that it will do more than I want (need). It simply needs to send mail (ie my logs) to my ISP's smtp server and then to my email account.

So...with that said, can ya lend some advice on setting up postfix (or whatever) to do just this and nothing more??

No no no, use postfix. It's more secure and is easier to configure (sendmail's configuration file looks like somebody was banging their head on the keyboard).

http://www.postfix.org
    Dude, he doesn't need to RECIEVE any mail with it, just send it out. The sendmail binary doesn't NEED any configuring, nor does the service need to be running. You just type use the sendmail binary to send mail out, it's that easy.

awesome.....that sounds very easy indeed. Thanks for the input